Coping with pd

Hi all,
I am new to this and really do not know where to start.
So here go's.
I'm 46 and from A little town in the heart of South Yorkshire ,called Barnsley. I've been married for 22 years and have a son who is 19 and work full time for a firm called Loomis. I am a very active person, I'm a keen gardener ,and we have a Staffordshire bull terrier called Digby ,that we got from a local rescue center only last week.

I was diagnosed with Parkinson's about 3 years ago ,but thinking about it ,i must have had it for about 5 years. At first i took it all quite well, keeping my self active and not thinking too much about the illness. I went back to see the Doctor after about 6 months and it was decided that i would take 8mg of ropinirole, and every 6 months he put the dosage up ,so now i am on 20mg.

Over the last few months i have become depressed and started to think what lies ahead ,on my days off when my wife was at work was the worst. I had time to dwell on things and to take my mind off that i turned to the internet and started gambling. I have never gambled and even use to tell my son off for putting a £1 bet on a game of football. I now realize that the tablets could be the cause. I have made an appointment to see the doctor and my parkinson's nurse, and also this is where Digby comes in, i'm hoping long walks with him will keep me off the internet. Also i am finding it hard to come to terms with what i have.

I have spoke to my manager and shift manager who were both very understanding ,and also spoke with a few of my work mates, something i have not done before.

I am ashamed to say i have even thought about taking my own life, but a complete stranger at a wedding bought me back to my senses.

I was wanting to know if anyone who takes these tablets feels like i do ,and what other tablets could i take.

In the ideal world i would like to go back 5 years , but i know that is not possible . I would be grateful for any information and the best way to cope with pd.

I want to work until i am 65 or even longer if i can

Dutch
Hello and welcome to the forum Dutch. In answer to your question;

I was wanting to know if anyone who takes these tablets feels like i do ,and what other tablets could i take.

There are many members of this forum that can say that they have or still do feel just as you do whilst taking Ropinerole.

I have been dx for 111 years and for my first 3 years I took Ropinerole, the meds caused me to develop a compulsive disorder and I shopped till I dropped for those 3 years. As a result I completely financially destroyed my family and lost a very good career in the process. Some 8 years on and we are still not out of the woods and I do not think that's likely to change as I am now retired.

Your problems are most likely to be cause by the Ropinerole....you must contact your neuro or PD nurse and ask for them to be changed as soon as possible.

Ropinerole is part of a group of meds called Dopermine Agonists and it is now known that some people can present with OCD behaviors whilst taking them.

Please see your doctor and have the issue addressed before things really get out of hand, you will not be able to control your behavior whilst taking the meds or at the very least reducing the dosage.

Your depression, which is also a symptom of Pd for some people, such as myself, can be controlled by anti-depressants, its a well know fact that depression plays a part in the pd experience.

I do hope that this has helped somewhat, if you wish to talk or ask questions please feel free to e mail me and I will certainly do what I can to support you.

regards
glenchass
Hi,Glenchass
Thanks for your reply ,sorry about your situation and i know it will not help your financial position but now knowing it is the tablets and not me i now know what to do next.

I am seeing my Parkinson's Nurse Monday and will ask if she can change the tablets.I am not in too much trouble, because my wife found out what i was doing and i have a great family who i have spoken with and told about the debt i had built up. I don't know why, but my wife has forgiven me this time.

Also my dog Digby has taken my mind away from PD, when i start and dwell on things we both go for 2 hour walks, and when we get back we are both too tired to do anything else.

Many thanks
Dutch