Coping with urge incontinence

In order to live a relatively normal life, and live with the very frequent and sudden need to urinate, I wear an incontinence pad when out and about. It’s a great comfort knowing any ‘accident’ I might have isn’t noticable to others but changing a pad when out and about isn’t easy. Firstly finding somewhere to go to change is hard enough but assuming a public toilet can be found, and one had the foresight to carry a spare pad, how do you dispose of the used pad. Gents toilet cubicles aren’t equipped with disposal bins. We can do without this extra cause of stress.

Hi, how about carrying a nappy bag and popping the pad in there. It can then be popped into any bin. I do this when out and about as not all ladies loos have apropriate disposal units. Smaller pedal bin liners can also work.

Hi Roro
Actually I have found something better than a nappy bag. I ordered a few 6x4inch grey plastic postal bags. They have a built-in sealing strip which really works well. Being dark grey means you can’t see the contents through the bag, unlike some nappy bags. I keep a ‘pack’ in the car consisting of a spare pad and disposal bag but if I’m on foot I haven’t the pocket space to take a pack with me, and then I’m anxious in case my bladder lets me down. Perhaps I should carry a handbag? Perhaps not!

Ooh, I like that idea. Just don’t get carried away and post it! After being caught out, I try to always carry my ‘emergency pack’ with me, but yes it is easier with a handbag! How about a roomy hat, pop your pack underneath :rofl:. Or resort to wearing cargo pants with lots of useful pockets :grin:
Rose

Hi Rose
Your reply really made me smile. Yes, one must avoid using any mail bag with an address label on it! I hadn’t thought about you ‘head space’ suggestion. Probably a tall opera hat would offer lots of space whereas a flat cap might be less accommadating. Next time I see anyone wearing cargo pants (especially with bulging pockets) I’ll assume they have planned for a long trip.

My husband used incontinence pads, but following an appointment with urology and some tests, he has been shown how to use a catheter to drain the excess urine in the bladder. It is only the third day, but we are hoping that properly emptying the bladder in the morning will reduce the pressure and the ‘urge’.