Couples needed to take part in a research study at Kings College London

Researchers at King’s College London are looking for 30 couples where one member has Parkinson’s to take part in a study investigating a couple’s perspective of living with Parkinson’s and its problems.

You and your partner may be eligible to take part if one of you has been diagnosed with Parkinson’s at least two years ago, and are prepared to travel to London(travel expenses will be reimbursed).

Participants will be asked to fill out some questionnaires and talk about your experiences of Parkinson’s.

More information is in the participant information sheet which is on our website at http://bit.ly/RjbERn

The study is funded by King’s College London. It is not managed by Parkinson's UK.

The closing date for recruiting participants for this study is 31 December 2012.

If you are interested in taking part, or wish to find out more information or whether you are eligible for the study, please contact the researchers directly:

Dr Anna Janssen, Clinical Psychologist in training
Institute of Psychiatry, King’s College London
Telephone: 07545565550
Email: [email protected]

If anyone has experience of taking part in studies, it would be interesting to hear about it.

Emily Hughes
Research Support Network Manager
Dr Janssen came to my home yesterday and conducted the interviews. She was very amiable and put us at ease before spending approx 3 hours asking questions on just how my PD affected us, family and friends.

Maybe Anna's research will help the medical profession to understand our needs somewhat more than they do?

Nuero's need to take our mental anguish into account more vigorously than ever!

oh yeah...one more thing. All you with toothless heads out there had better get your dentures tuned up and raring to go. The list of words that you are required to read out loud ascend in difficulty! lololol:flushed:
Hi Pokermid
I hope you and your family found the meeting helpful.
It seems a lot more needs to be done to understand the needs of people with pd and their friends and family.
Carrot
I endorse Pokermid's comments. Anna interviewed us some months ago. She is friendly and very approachable while maintaining professionalism. Anna originally from New Zealand has a doctorate from there and is now doing further doctorate studies. Her research complements that being done by Ray Choudri on the non motor aspects of Parkinsons, in this case the effect on couples when one partner is diagnosed with PD.
Emily asked for reports on experiences of volunteers for research. I have not yet volunteered for this study but I have several others under my belt and the experiences are all positive.
The researchers have all been faultlessly helpful and professional. The studies seem well designed and it feels good to be helping the search for prevention, cure and better care for PWP.
Although not the main aim of participation I have learned lots about Parkinson's from taking part. Two researchers in particular opened my eyes to dopamine agonist side effects which helped me greatly. Another researcher thrust me into the clutches of a truly inspirational speech therapist who would not let me escape until I had spoken up to a decent level and now I am on a waiting list for Lee Silverman Vocal Technique.
I'd advise anyone who is thinking about volunteering to give it a go. The more we volunteer the faster we get a cure. Even 'normal' (I use the word loosely) people can help as many studies need control subjects. You can take your wife or girlfriend (or why not both?) too.

EF
Hi EF

I' m currently into the third week of the LSVT course and even though it is quite a commitment, I do think that it is helping, and we're having a bit of fun at the same time, which also helps.

Homework can be a bit noisy, with us having to practise our 'loud' voice.

Regards,

Mike