critical illness claim

just wondered if anyone has had any experience claiming on a critical illness policy.
i was diagnosed in march this year i was told by my consultant i have parkinson’s and referred to the movement disorder team and assigned a parkinson’s disease nurse .i then received a copy of a letter that was sent to my gp saying probable idiopathic parkinson’s will this be a problem and hinder me making a successful claim. the policy states a definitive diagnosis of parkinson’s disease by a consultant neurologist. there must be permanent clinical impairment of motor function with associated tremor,rigidity of movement and postural instability .
My symptoms at present are rigidity bradykinesia tremor a bit clumsy when turning quickly and generally feeling slow when doing things .Any advice would be much appreciated .

Hi @leematt75,

Hope all is well.

I have passed your query onto our policy and department and will get back to you as soon as I can on this. In the meantime, please have a look at our website which has information on this here - https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/benefits-people-disability-and-carers

Take care for now.

Best wishes,
Reah

Hi leematt75.
Before starting claim procedure please read your policy document carefully.
I don’t have a good memory about critical illness claim. I was diagnosed pd 4 years ago when it’s early stages. I was declined the claim because I was not met with all of the policy definition. I was stupid to insurance claims at that time.
So please check your policy document carefully.
Good luck.
H

Hi @leematt75,

I’ve received feedback from our helpline department and they’ve advised that you take a look at the Financial Ombudsman Service. You can find the website here - www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/factsheets/income-protection-insurance.pdf

I hope you find this information useful.

Best wishes,
Reah

Did you eventually get paid out though or do your symptoms still not meet the requirements.

No. I could not get paid. My case is complicated
I was diagnosed with Parkinson Disease in 2014 and I had put my first claim for group critical illness to insurance company in early March 2015.
Insurance company sent me a reply in July 2015 stating that they could not pay a claim because my condition had not satisfied the definition of Parkinson Disease because my medical reports did not report me as having a tremor or postural instability. The letter also stated that I should remain a member of the scheme and should my condition deteriorate to the required severity after April 1st 2016, then they would be happy to reconsider a further claim.
But I had already deselected the group critical illness cover from my company benefits list on March 2015 as my claim was already made to insurance company and the policy document also stated that any pre-existing medical conditions or associated conditions are not covered. After receiving this letter, I did try my best to re-enroll into the scheme but the company could not open the window for selecting the group critical illness benefit until the following year, March 2016, and I immediately re-selected the scheme once available.

Inevitably, my condition deteriorated to the required severity, so I requested a second claim against group critical illness in August 2017. But insurer did not agree to pay the claim this time either stating I was not a member of the scheme between April 2015 and March 2016.