Dad diagnosed with Parkinson's disease 2 weeks back

Hey!! My dad has been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease 2 weeks back. I was unaware of the cause of this disease and the doctor said that it is due to the loss of dopamine-producing brain cells. My dad is 65 years old and the doctor said it is common for people at this age to have Parkinson's disease.
I feel sorry for my dad. This disease made it difficult for him to walk distances, get himself up and dressed and continue with one of his favorite pastimes – gardening.
I was shocked when the doctor said that there is no treatment for the complete cure of Parkinson's disease. He said that there are several therapies and medication to delay the onset of motor symptoms. My dad is currently under medication to increase the amount of dopamine in the brain. Also, the doctor advised us to take him to a physiotherapy clinic in Burlington ( http://dynamicphysiotherapy.ca/services/physiotherapy/ ) as it will be beneficial for his health. Has anyone here with Parkinson's disease undergone physiotherapy treatment? How was your experience with it? Any advice is highly appreciated. Thanks!!

Sorry to hear about your Dad, but Parkinsons is not the end of the world - it just seems so sometimes.

I was diagnosed 13 years ago at the age of 43 and have been trying ever since to get physio as I believe it would really help.  The trouble is there just isnt enough provision in many areas so I would suggest that you take whatever help is being offered. 

Muscle stiffness is very common in Parkinsons and any advice and help with relieving this can do no harm.

Go for it, and good luck to your Dad.

Hi,

Parkinson's uk  have produced a useful exercise DVD. Fairly short and easy to follow at home. Nothing too difficult and the gentle stretches do help with flexibility and movement. 

Diagnosis is a shock, especially if it was unexpected. Takes a while to get used to  Life will certainly be different from now on but it isn't the end of the world. I found the worst bit was having to accept there isn't a cure. After that it's a question of just "keeping on going"

Good Luck 

Hi. 

After the initial shock of diagnosis, it helps to keep moving. Whatever you dad likes to do, do it in smaller doses. Maybe when and if medication kicks his movements will improve. Also stress affects PD negatively, so finding something calming to do will help his mental and emotional state. 

He sounds like he has good support in you.