Dad not coping with Parkinsons

Hi there, my dad was diagnosed with Parkinson’s around 20 months ago. I’m his son and live with him, and finding he is becoming increasingly angry and upset by life in general. His speech isn’t great most days and I think this is what upsets him most. I’m finding it all very hard to deal with and just not sure what to do.

Hi JG,
We’re very sorry to hear you’re experiencing these challenges with your dad. You’re sure to hear from members of the community who have been through similar, and they will have valuable advice to share. We just wanted you to be aware of the resources available to you here, as well, including our website, which is full of helpful information. This page would be a good starting point: Caring for someone with Parkinson's. And in addition to this we have a free and confidential helpline on 0808 800 0303, staffed with advisers capable of assisting in a wide variety of ways. We would encourage you to reach out when you can, as specifically they can help you find resources in your area.
We hope this helps, and we offer our warmest welcome,
Jason
Forum Moderator

Hi JG1978,

Yes unfortunately this, at times is one of the effects of PD, however it may be being exacerbated by the medication he is on.
It is also as a result of, and we all do go through it, of his not being able to do what he used to, and he does get annoyed with himself as a result, and how quickly this is going to affect him and “what next”
He will also be upset because those around him can see him struggling, and he is embarrassed because of it, so will " explode" at anyone who is around at the time.
Unfortunately there is very little you can do, other than try to reassure him, that you know it is not him, but the terrible PD.

I hope that helps just a bit.