Dad recently diagnosed

My Dad has been diagnosed with Parkinson’s - just 4 weeks ago today. He apparently has stage 3 and my Mum spends all her time crying. I don’t live close to them but try and get there when I can and call my Mum every couple of days. She still hasn’t had a visit from the Parkinson’s Nurse which I was hoping might help. There is a local support group but when she called she was told that they couldn’t park outside so she would have to drop my Dad off at the door and leave him there while she went to park the car.
He is very anxious and just couldn’t cope with that but I really want them to go as I think it would help to talk.
Any advice? We’re not coping very well and my Dad is declining rapidly.

Hi michellet,

Very sorry to hear about your dad’s diagnosis, and that his experience with his Parkinson’s nurse and support group hasn’t been very helpful. We’d recommend you reach out to our Helpline, as they’re able to offer advice, information and support on a wide range of issues affecting Parkinson’s patients and their families. You can reach them via email at [email protected], or call free on 0808 800 0303. Lines are open Monday to Friday from 9am to 7pm, and on Saturday from 10am-2pm.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Owen,
Moderation Team

Thankyou I will try the helpline tomorrow.

Hi Michellet, so sorry to hear about your dad’s diagnosis. My dad has had it for about 6 years now. He’s not too bad. I find it crazy that they expect your mum to drop your dad off at the door then find somewhere to park! Going to a new group where he doesn’t know anyone, even if he didn’t have PD is going to make anyone nervous and anxious. Is there anyone running the group that could meet and welcome him at the door?

Anyway I hope your dad is able to attend as my dad goes to a support group and finds it useful. He said it can be sad to see others really suffering but he does find it beneficial.

Thanks. It’s just difficult to understand why they don’t have somewhere a bit more accessible! Hopefully they will find a group soon, I think he’s really down.

Thought I would let you know my Mum and Dad went to the support group by taxi in the end! But Dad won’t go again as he was too anxious. In the last 3 months he has got so bad that he pretty much has every symptom of Parkinson’s except the tremors. I just hope Mum can speak to the Parkinson’s nurse soon - it has been 5 weeks and no appointment until 24th September! Anyway, just wanted to let you know. Thanks for your message. Michelle