Hi everyone, my dad (73) has a second small stroke 6 months ago which seemed to make his dementia much worse, problem is that he’s never actually been diagnosed with dementia? The hospital were so awful I’m still wanting to complain but mum is too afraid they will treat him badly if he goes there again! 13 weeks he was there turned out he could have been home after 3 weeks if people had done their jobs :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:! My point now is that some random hospital employee we never met again suggested dad may have Parkinson? It’s never been brought up again by any medical professional etc, no test done? He’s gone downhill so quickly that I have been wondering about symptoms and now wondering if this nurse/ dr/ who ever was right? Any advice would be appreciated??? What dr specialty do I ask for?

Hi @Amy123 and welcome to our forum. Our members are a friendly and supportive lot and many will relate to your feelings of uncertainty and worry. Hopefully they will be along to chat to you soon.

I’m really sorry to hear that your dad’s hospital experience was so poor. I can certainly understand why you aren’t keen for him to go there again and that you are considering filing a complaint. Do you have the information for the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)? You can look for it here: Find patient advice and liaison services (PALS) - NHS.

Of course it’s stuck with you that someone mentioned Parkinson’s and in light of your dad’s deteriorating condition, you don’t want to leave any stone unturned. Your first step is talk to your GP who will refer your dad to a Parkinson’s specialist. Only the specialist can determine what’s going on. You can read more about symptoms and diagnosis at Do I have Parkinson's? | Parkinson's UK.

No one wants to hear they have Parkinson’s but once diagnosed treatment can begin to make life easier. This makes it well worth investigating. This is true whatever may show up.

Wishing you all the best and hope to hear a follow-up soon.

Forum Moderation Team

Hi Amy,

don’t worry about making a complaint affecting you fathers care, it won’t. PALS is the place to start if that’s what you want to do.

As Janice has said speak to you fathers GP as a place to start regarding possible Parkinsons. Stroke can cause short term cognition worsening but it sounds like your father’s is persistent so a memory clinic for this might be useful. His GP will be able to advise.