DAT scan reliability

Hi I’m just trying to find out how reliable a DaTscan is in the diagnosis of YOPD ? I’m still waiting for the results of mine but when I called to see if my results were in yet the secretary said the consultant was off until next week but there was nothing to worry about :woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging: If the scan is normal what is causing all my symptoms & what usually happens next ?? Would be grateful for any info on how you were all diagnosed. Thank you x

Hi Dildon,
DatScans are very good predictors of PD but there are cases where the scan does not show much of a depletion however that does not mean that PD is not prevalent, specifically in the early stages.
That being said it seems to be the best predictor they have at the moment, however it is not "foolproof. and there are instances where PD is prevalent.
Sorry I can’t be of any more help.

Thank you for your responses, it’s the waiting so long for a diagnosis that has me questioning everything ? While I don’t want to have PD at least if it’s that I have a reason for my symptoms & I can start getting support but if it’s not that I really don’t know what comes next. I am just going to have to wait for the letter to arrive, whenever that may be. X

1 Like

Hi Dildon,
I do agree with you.
It is the not knowing that is so incredibly annoying.