DBS at QMC Nottingham

Hello.
I am seeing a consultant at the QMC and they say i should think about DBS.
However i have never had an operation for anything in the past, to be honest i am a little scared. I have been told also that you are awake for part of the surgery which scares me even more.
In short has anyone had DBS at this hospital and how did you get on?
Thank you in advance
paul

Hi Paul, welcome to the community.

You can find out all about deep brain stimulation on our website, here: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/deep-brain-stimulation

You might also want to contact our Helpline, as they’re able to offer professional advice on a wide range of issues affecting Parkinson’s patients. You can reach them via email at [email protected], or call free on 0808 800 0303. Lines are open Monday to Friday from 9am to 7pm, and on Saturday from 10am-2pm.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Owen,
Moderation Team

Yes thank you. I have seen this link and very helpful it is to.
But my original question still applies , Has anyone had experience with this DBS at Nottingham?
Thanks in advance

I had DBS in November at Queen Square London if that is of an interest

I have looked at DBS posts in the forum and all were interesting.
But looking for peoples experience at a particular hospital.
Thank you anyway and good luck with your treatment.

At Bristol southmead hospital you are totally a sleep for the whole operation excellent state of the heart theatre and follow up appointments there when you need them.

Hi,
New here, I have had DBS at Southmead, I thoroughly recommend it, in my case it’s completely done away with my tremors. That’s the good news, please don’t think this is a cure, what it gives with one hand it can take with the other. Its been a roller coaster, but to ground one’s self… try turning it off!
Going through a scanner at airports can be fun but by far the worst possible problem is getting a MRI scan! No one will do it for fear of frying you, not good when like myself you have a worn spine and shoulders.
Hopefully this will help someone.

Tony

Hi Tony, and welcome to the forums! We’re sure you’re going to find lots of good information and shared life experiences here, so feel free to have a look around. Thanks for sharing your own experience, and be sure to utilize our website at Parkinsons.org.uk for up to date information, or call us at 0808 800 0303 for free and confidential assistance.

All our best,
Jason
Moderation Team