Dbs

Well. I’ve gone and done it. Had the DBS op. Initially and on the run up to the day felt very nervous for obvious reasons. On the day those fears fast faided away when I met the team and listened to their reassurances. In for 0700. Op at 0830 and back into recovery at approx 12.00. No real pain. Felt great and have felt good ever since. The PD nurse visited me late afternoon and went through various details of charging the unit etc. Op yesterday and out today ready to celebrate my birthday tomorrow. Very slick and professional at Southmead, Bristol. Back on the 20th July to have it programmed. Happy days. Early days but if anyone is considering this and is worried about the op. Don’t be. Just spoken to the surgeon. I’m off home today. :wink:

3 Likes

I went through it almost five years ago at Addenbrookes, Cambridge and was under for seven hours, having had a St. Jude system fitted. I went in on the Sunday, had the operation on the Monday and on the Tuesday my consultant was there beside me sorting out my settings and I was released to go home on the Thursday. Having watched the operation on two separate occasions on tv it was still all very daunting when push came to shove. The only thing with me was that the consultants being what they are wouldn’t have it that I had got two different tremors otherwise the would have sorted me the one time but if I chose to, it would mean going under again and having gone through it once don’t fancy doing it again. Don’t get me wrong, compared to other members on here I feel that I have a good quality of life. In fact back in March I had my battery changed as it was getting to being four and a half years old and some batteries were only lasting about three years. As I have said else where on this Forum, I would recommend anyone who gets offered it to take the Bull by the horns and go for it, you won’t be disappointed. By the way RoweJ03, wishing you a happy birthday for tomorrow, you couldn’t have wished for a better present !! Would I be right in saying that you were under Dr Woans team ? I should be because of where I now live but because of having had mine fitted at Cambridge alas I am still under them, such is life !! All the very best to you. :+1:

1 Like

Hi @Rowej03,

That’s fantastic news! I’m really happy to hear that your DBS operation went well. :grinning:

Here’s hoping that you’ll see continuous improvements to your health.

Best wishes,
Reah

1 Like

Hi there that’s great news eh.
Have a brilliant Birthday.
If you don’t mind me asking what age you are.

As at the hosp in Glasgow my PD nurse had told me you had to get it done before you are 60.
As I am the big 60 this year I feel that boat has sailed.

1 Like

Hi. I’m 55 but I know someone who i believe who is 70ish and has had it done.

1 Like

Thank you.

Thanks for replying.

Hi Rowe what dbs make did you have Medtronic going to get my 15 yr rechargeable next couple months as this will be my 3rd replacement. Dr Alan whone & professor Steven gill southmead hospital great team

Offered to husband aged 66.

1 Like

15 yrs. wow. :grinning:. I have had a Boston scientific vercise gevia system.

Hi
I’m 53 and had bilateral DBs targeting the Gpi in march of this year. Thus far has worked wonderfully well with a significant reduction in medications and much better mobility as well as far less pronounced/ long lasting " off " periods. As far as age goes I know of several people in their 70’ s who have undergone the procedure with mixed results.

Hi yes I also have a Boston scientific vercise system with rechargeable batteries about once a week I have to spend around 30 - 40 minutes recharging the batteries.

I think that I am correct in saying that the school of thought used to be that DBs was a last resort after all medication options had been exhausted, but in recent years the thinking has changed to the premise that while there is still a quality of life to preserve that for as long as possible as although dbs is not a cure by any stretch of the imagination, it can help in prolonging quality of life and therefore the procedure has been made available to those who it is going to benefit most. I underwent some 18 months of rigorous testing both physical and psychological before it was decided that I would potentially be a good candidate for the procedure. The testing is not really to decide whether or not you get the procedure, but more to determine which area of the basal ganglia to target for best effect. As a broad rule of thumb, if you suffer from bad tremors and dystonia then the target area would tend to be the subthalmic nucleus, which accounts for the majority of db procedures. However, if, as in my case, your symptoms are more to do with gaiit and/or non motor symptoms in general, then the global pallidus internus or gpi is preferred as the target area. I was told that the results in my case would not be as dramatic as those of someone who had had the procedure with the Stn as the target area, but I have been able to reduce my meds by around 30-40%, and my voice which was soft and slurred has returned, and only rarely do I get the awful dyskinesias now. So whilst the result of my procedure when compared with someone who has had Stn dbs, may not appear as dramatic, for me it has been an absolute godsend. I am able to talk without having to repeat myself over and over again, my voice no longer sounds like I have consumed a bottle of whisky lol, and people have remarked to me that in their opinion I am a completely different person to whom they knew before my operation. Now I’m pursuing the DVLA to reinstate my driving licence and life seems bearable again. Incidentally my team was also at addenbrookes hospital and consisted of Dr Philip Buttery and Mr Robert Morris the consultant neurologist and neurosurgeon respectively. Hope this has been of some use to you, and from a personal viewpoint I would seriously recommend that if you are considering dbs then go for it !!

2 Likes

I am due to have DBS at Kings, anyone had it done there?