Dbs

I have had Parkinsons from 2009 my consultant is putting me forward for DBS i am currently on Apo Morphine which is beneficial when it works. i am 55 and i would be very grateful of any advice regarding pro and cons of this surgery. many thanks Trev.

Hi Trevor,

You can find lots of information on DBS on our website, here: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/deep-brain-stimulation

You might also want to try contacting our Helpline, as they’ll be able to offer lots of advice on this subject. You can reach them via email at [email protected], or call free on 0808 800 0303. Lines are open Monday to Friday from 9am to 7pm, and on Saturday from 10am-2pm.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Owen,
Moderation Team

Hi Trevor,

I had DBS In November 2016. It has had a significant impact on my condition but don’t expect a miraculous transformation. I was getting to the stage where walking was becoming extremely difficult, caused by my left foot inverting so that at times the solution was to walk backwards (strange but true). Of course it takes a time to get the tuning right and even now approaching 3years since my op. I am still receiving a regular servicing. I still suffer a lot of dyskenisia but that is typically when under stress, even minor. The DBS has had little impact on that. Also if anything my balance is worse than before DBS.
The main benefit was reducing the stiffness in my whole body. It is a decision only you can make but I am certainly glad I had the op.
Finally I didn’t find the surgery itself too traumatic,
Hope this helps a little. Good luck.

thank you very much, i appreciate your reply i fully understand your symptoms mine are similar.

Trevor