Dbs

Has anyone on here had DBS surgery and f so can they share their experiences with the forum please?

Hi @davech,

If you haven’t already done so, I would recommend checking out our DBS information page. It’s no substitute for personal experience, but it may provide you with some insight. I’m sure our forum members will be here soon to share their DBS stories with you though!

You can also reach out to one of our advisers on 0808 800 0303 if you had more questions about DBS or how to proceed if it is something you are interested in.

Best wishes,
Joy
Forum Moderation Team

Once again a need for an DBS peer service, shame PUK pulled the plug several years ago before it got up and running.

Hi @GentechE1,

The service was launched in July 2012 and ran until ~March/April 2019. At that time it was reviewed as part of a wider piece of work to look at the range of information and support services offered by Parkinson’s UK and how we could ensure that we reached as many people as possible. It was recognised that the peer support service was only being used by a small number of individuals and was difficult to scale up in size. As a result of this a decision was taken to discontinue the service.

Peer support is still available to individuals through the forum, the community Facebook page, and the wide range of activities offered by our local networks.

We’d suggest that you speak to your clinicians in case they are able to put you in touch with someone who has had the surgery - there are also a couple of real life stories from People with Parkinson’s on our website too:

I hope you find this information helpful.

Best wishes,
Reah

Dbs has been nothing but a total mess for me and I tire of reading that ‘it changed my life’ stories. Well it changed my life yeah but not really for the better: if it goes up to any useful level, I can barely speak. Also I seem to be developing balance problems which I never had before. It is touted as a brilliant operation but can go very wrong.