Dealing with Hallucinations

Hi everyone!

I apologise in advance if this topic has been discussed previously.

My dad has had Parkinsons for about 25 years and recently he has started to experience vivid hallucinations. His hallucinations mainly involve flies and other bugs attacking him. I appreciate that this problem is quite common for people with PD. His neuro has told him that its his drugs that are causing them. Thanks to Radar's response to my meet and greet post yesterday I will suggest to my dad that he meets a pharmacist to review his medication. Fingers crossed this might improve/eradicate the problem.

In the meantime, I've been searching the internet hoping to find out some tips on how to help someone deal with a hallucination. I've found lots of general information on the problem but nothing on how to cope with them on a daily basis.

I often look after my dad and I'm instantly aware when the hallucinations have started by the scared expression on his face. I desperately want to be able to help calm him down and hopefully help make them go away. We have found the following are helpful:
- making the room as light as possible
- massaging his head
- recounting a memorable event
- reading a book or magazine out loud to him

I'm sure there must be other things I can do to help him. I'd be very grateful to hear from you if you have any suggestions.

Many thanks

Pickalily