Deep brain stimulation. Re-chargable or not

This will be my second battery replacement both lasting 3yrs roughly thinking about re-chargable as anyone got any views on this !

Hi Gus not heard from you in a long time.Hoping you get the answers you want.
Keep well.
Babs formerly Glasgow Girl.

Na I know don’t go much on this forum liked the old one , you know the saying if it’s not broken why try and fix it! Hope your ok looking forward to the sun when it eventually gets here

Hi @gus,

Have you consulted with your doctor or Parkinson’s nurse? I’d advise that you do before you make any decisions. If you’re unsure, please give our helpline a call on 0808 800 0303 to speak to one of our advisers.

Do keep us posted on this.

Best wishes,
Reah

Yeah I spoke about it last time. I was just wondering if anyone has a rechargeable one .cheers

1 Like

Well had my pre-opp Wednesday Bristol southmead hospital, going in this Thursday 5th to have my Medtronic 15yr rechargeable generator. As my other two batteries last just over 3.5yrs so this makes sense.

Hi Gus

Yup mate I have had the dbs surgery with implanted rechargeable batteries and it takes me about 30 - 40 minutes per week to recharge the batteries which is a synch really. I have a Boston vercise system comprising of a remote control which indicates not only the state of the control battery but also the charge level of the batteries in my chest. Thus far it has been great, and easy to use with a saddle bag type thing where the charger is placed in one side and a counterweight in the other. The charger is aligned over the implanted battery pack and one has to remain fairly still and motionless in order that the alignment stays correct. The system beeps if you move it out of alignment. The obvious benefits of having rechargeable batteries are that one does not have to return every 3 years or so to have them changed. I have been told that the rechargeable batteries have a lifespan of between 10 and 25 years.

Hi I’m going to southmead hospital this Thursday to have my Medtronic 15yr rechargeable battery.

Well all good at moment had Medtronic 15yr rechargeable wow what a piece of kit had it fitted wed they had to give me the good stuff to knock me out ,built like a rino still feeling tired now 4 days on them general annesthic are no good for you really messed my tablets up ie ON & OFF time but just getting back to normal, wow it’s Hot since I’ve had it fitted I have not had to charge at all yet,you get a belt to go round you to put charger in this keeps mobile also they gave 50 sticky patches you can use instead of belt good thing is when you need new patches just phone Medtronic they send free to you.They say belt harness tricky so this why give you stick on patches. I’ve sorted harness out but can understand other people use patches. Well can not say if Medtronic better than Boston, but I’m going to stick devil I know, so if I had Boston wires put in I’d stick with that.Big But you can go in a MRI unit with Medtronic so that’s a plus for me.All so there developing kit where they can keep eye on power level as it gets older so there’s no need to go in hospital, bit like heart pace makers, it’s all pretty amazing

Well not happy Medtronic 15yr rechargeable battery charger broke July 5th fitted will keep you all informed

Hi

My wife had a battery replacement on 5th November. All went well initially. In the last two days there have been worrying times that her neck/head tremor has started to appear again after 3 years.
As you have had a battery replacement I just wondered if you experienced anything like this.
We are obviously really worried something is wrong, ie the word may have been damaged. The device itself had a rechargeable battery and from what we can see is charging normally and has no fault.

If you have any advice, please reply.

Thanks

1 Like

No never had problem a problem have you tried maybe upping the voltage on dbs on what side seems to be causing problem, i would contact your dbs nurse but expect you will have to go back to hospital to get the wires tested,have you got far to go ,you could try and turn left side right down I know this is not nice ,then you should be able to see if left side tremors come back then slowly turn back up,then do the same on right side this should give you a glue if working ok .I have been putting mine up a little as cold whether, Also general annesthic plays big part as Parkinson’s does not go down well for some reason. But phone your nurse in morning. Hope it all works out. Let me know

Thanks, im trying to convince her to go the hospital but she wants to give it a day or so. We are about half and hour from the hospital (Salford)
We don’t have the option to control the voltage outside the hospital unfortunately. She has a complicated set up, she actually have 4 electrodes instead of 2, so the hospital suggest we dont adjust it ourselves.

If it is a wire issue am i right in thinking thats not replaceable. It is frustrating as she has been doing so well over the last few years.

Better to be safe then sorry! Even just phone your dbs nurse, and if the wire needed to be replaced it would mean surgery again but as I used to be a plumber I wouldn’t think it would take that long just pull the old one out and reconnect but it could be done if needed as I said she sorry wife might just need a twick on setting. But I would phone. Make sure she does put mine’s at rest All the best

Gus et all
have a Boston versise Gevia

It has a rechargeable bartery and as Parky Pete says above it should last another 20 years or m
This will be my second battery replacement both lasting 3yrs roughly thinking about re-charge.

And a question for you.
How do you know what No i all you have…I keep seeingdifferent TMs and I can’t work out what Boston scientific product range for DBS

Don’t really understand what you’re saying.You will get rechargeable battery 15 to 20 yrs last !. Day surgery operation and i just recharge mine in morning 15 minutes while i eat my breakfast. Go back in 8yrs to update settings.

Sorry it’s a medtronic dbs