Delirium

My Husband has delirium, he was admitted to Hospital and didn’t have it but while he was a patient his medication was not given as prescribed ie 1 day they didn’t change his Neupro patch so he went 24 hours without and then they put a 12mg on when he should have been on 8mg over 24 hours then they used 6mg, I know he is unwell with PD but I do think messing up his meds didn’t help, he is home now but the delirium continues 7 weeks on, has anyone seen any positive outcomes with someone diagnosed with delirium?

Hi Peter,
We noticed this was your first post in the forum, and we wanted to say hello and welcome you and your husband, and make sure you’re aware of the resources we offer. There is a wealth of info on our website, including on dementia and delirium, like this section here, and the search function will bring up loads of other links, including previous forum discussions on the topic. Please also be aware of our helpline, which is free and confidential, at 0808 800 0303. Our advisers are friendly and the depths of their knowledge is incredible. They are even there just to listen if you need it, so please don’t hesitate to reach out when things are difficult, as they are now.
Please accept our best wishes and warmest welcome,
Jason
Forum Moderator

Hello, my father developed delirium after a hospital stay also. It might be worth checking out that there is no infection present such as a bladder infection as that can make delirium worse. Would the short term prescription of a sedative also help? You mentioned issues with meds and that probably wasnt ideal but i think being away from familiar surroundings was worse, in my father’s case. Maybe try stick to routines, favourite meals and things to do, listening to music etc also helped. Dad is much better now but not fully so, its hard to know if that would have happened anyway with progression of dementia. I see the post is a few weeks old so i hope there has been improvement since.