Delusions ....and break down of carer role

Hi
My husband has been having hallucinations and delusions. He’s had Parkinson’s for 18 years.The difficulty is that they are focused on me,he thinks I’ve been trying to poison him ,tampered with his medication, and is generally paranoid about me and even though he’s in hospital and they have sorted medication he still believes the delusions
Our relationship is getting very poor and I don’t think I can cope with looking after him at home any more.Any ideas where to go from here.

I would have thought they would have arranged psychiatric help with a qualified psychiatrist. Have you asked if anything along those lines could be organised?

Hi @Shazann,

A warm welcome the Parkinson’s UK forum.

I’m really sorry to hear that you are experiencing this with your husband. Delusions can cause someone with Parkinson’s to act irrational which can be stressful and tiring for their loved ones. Therefore, it is completely understandable if you have reached a place where you feel you cannot cope. In general, delusions can be treated with the right treatment and medication, however, you should be aware that for some people, this may not provide a solution.

Although you’ve mentioned that he is currently in hospital, it is important that you bring this problem to the attention of a medical professional so they can look into his medication. We have extensive information on this via our website here - https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/hallucinations-and-delusions-side-effect.

You may also want to consider a care home or in-house care for your husband to help manage your his condition. If you think you could benefit from this, you can find more information on our website here - https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/home-care-and-care-homes

If you have further questions about the Parkinson’s medication that your husband is taking, you can also call our helpline on 0808 800 0303.

I hope you find this information helpful and do take care.

Best wishes,
Reah
Forum Community Manager