Delusions and Hallucinations

Hi all, I am knew here and hoping to get some advice regarding hallucinations.

My Mum was diagnosed almost 20 years ago with Parkinson’s but the last year things have got much worse. She has been paralyzed since the summer and is suffering hallucinations and delusions. She was started on a very low dose of anti-psychotics about 8 weeks ago.

Initially things improved but over the last week or so the hallucinations have got worse and she is very distressed. It is worse at night and she is afraid to go to sleep. s

She is currently in a care home for respite care. I raised the issue of the worsening hallucinations with a nurse there and was told there is nothing they can do, that she is on the right medication and the hallucinations are something we have to accept as just part of Parkinson’s. I do not think this is right. Surely the medication should be regularly reviewed and tweaked if not working? It surely takes longer than 8 weeks to get the dosage\ combination correct?

Any advice? Thanks in advance!

Hi Nic1, welcome to the community.

Very sorry to hear about your mum’s condition. We have lots of information and advice about hallucinations and delusions on our website that you may find useful: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/hallucinations-and-delusions-side-effect

We’d also recommend that you contact our Helpline, as they’ll be able to advise you in greater detail. You can reach them via email at [email protected], or call free on 0808 800 0303. Lines are open Monday to Friday from 9am to 7pm, and on Saturday from 10am-2pm.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Owen,
Moderation Team