Dementia and hallucinations

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. I have an aunt who lives in spain and who has had PD for 20 years. 2 years ago, following an anaesthetic for a non PD complaint, she begun to have serious hallucinations. She was showing signs of this a few weeks prior, but it seems generally accepted that the anaesthesia made it worse.

The hallucinations were visual (seeing smoke, lights, people), physical (feeling as if she was being touched) as well as sensory (strong smells). She also began to express the fear that her husband was being and 'seeing' visual proof of this. As you can imagine this has been devastating both for her and her immediate family.

She was put on anti-psychotic meds with with she continues. Simply I think these meds prevent her PD meds from working so well, but she is coping as well as can be expected.

In recent weeks she is beginning to show signs of dementia and is forgetting and getting confused about simple tasks.

I wondered if anyone else has experienced similar and how they cope? My aunt has been seeing a psychologist for 7 months - weekly visits. This has definitely helped, giving her a safe place to express how she feels. Her mother died recently and this obviously was a very stressful time for her.
sorry meant to say that she felt her husband was being unfaithful and 'seeing' visual proof of this.
also apologies as i didn't mean to post this under 'meet and greet' - I don't know if it can be moved to a separate thread.
Hi joady

My father has also been experiencing similar hallucinations for sometime and my mum has told me many times in the past how he accuses her of different things. I find it a very upsetting part of the illness. I can't tell you how to cope, but I just have to keep reminding myself that's its just my dads illness and that if he was well he would never say those things.
The dementia is hard to see and sometimes I have to laugh at some of the ridiculous things my dad says or I would be crying all the time.
I'm new to this forum too and talking to people who understand definitely helps.
Take care
Thank you for your reply. It's always good to know that you are not the only one experiencing these issues, even if sadly that means someone else is suffering. Yes, laughing is always good and there are thankfully, many funny moments.

I found it interesting that I wasn't aware at all of these issues until my aunt started to suffer and I think it would be a good thing to highlight this and help people to be aware of this potential problem. I think knowledge helps the carers to be able to cope and also, as we have found, to help create a safe an environment as possible for my aunt who, due to these feelings, often feels very frightened even in her own home.
My mum had a very bad stroke and had to go into a nursing home . She started crying to me and got so upset , she really thought that I was having an affair with one of the carers . At night she worried about my husband she was so fond of him , she topd me she never ever thought I would do such a thing to him ..

Although we explained she probably had a dream about it I don't think she did ever believe me .

We did get use to all sorts not such nice things she said although sometimes they were funny .

My husband sometimes see people and hears strange noisy but has learned to accept what it Is .
Thanks for your reply. Sorry to hear about your mum and your husband's experiences. Some days my aunt seems better able to cope with the thoughts than others, but sometimes it causes her a great deal of distress. To medicate to keep the hallucinations away or lower means being slower and less mobile which is something my aunt hates. It's a difficult balance.