Depression Missile Crisis

It comes through on the wire; depression has installed its most advanced weapons on an island close to your shore. An emergency meeting is called and the atmosphere is thick with fear and confusion. Options are thrown on the table; engage the enemy and bomb the island but that risks escalating the situation; the threat is also not contained by doing nothing and assuming the situation will resolve itself; someone even said bomb ourselves…Nothing is decided.

As more and more bombs are delivered to the island and readied for launch a series of provocative military manoeuvres takes place. Tension increases as a few skirmishes break out. Direct communication with the island closes down. Missile launch is imminent.

You sit in your oval office, thinking about the depressive missiles over and over again. You feel trapped. What am I to do? Then, with courage and determination you call somebody into the oval office. You say with a trembling voice, “I think I might be depressed”. The person replies, “OK, don’t worry we will sort it together! We need to open up a dialogue with the island. The missiles don’t have to be there forever. Now you’ve told me, we’ll sort it out…”

dr jonny

www.dialoguewithdisability.blogspot.co.uk
I was dx with Parkinsons 8 years ago and since then depression has been a much bigger influence on my life than the other effects of Parkinson's. It's not clear to me whether my depression was caused by the physiological effects of the condition, the psychological effects of the dx or by the meds. It is likely that all three have played a part.

It is also worth saying that I have found that people react differently to Parkinson's and depression. Parkinson's is treated as a 'proper' disease while depression is seen as sadness and something you should shrug off with a smile.

I now use a mild antidepressant which helps me avoid the worst lows. I have also found mindfulness techniques and yoga helpful in allowing me to recognise unhelpful thought patterns and stay positive.

I am particularly enjoying a new book by Ruby Wax. 'Sane New World' is a very accessible account of mindfulness based techniques to combat depression. It is a powerful blend of personal experience and academic study liberally laced with humour.

I'm still thinking how this fits with Dr Jonny's Cuban analogy. :-) Perhaps I need to build a sort of Guantanamo Bay on depression island.... that'll teach them...... or not....

Elegant Fowl
How about: the Cuban missile crisis was resolved by Kennedy and Khrushchev contacting each other and setting up a dialogue. This ultimately led to the removal of missiles from Cuba.

When depression is the enemy and has its missiles aimed at you, you must reach out (admitting you are depressed) and open up a dialogue with your depression; through mindful self-compassion you start to understand how depression works and renegotiate your relationship with it (e.g. live alongside it and not be it). Eventually the missiles are deactivated.

Thanks for sharing your experiences EF
:sunglasses:
Hello Dr Johnny
Written in your usual perceptive and meaningful way if I may say so,using the same thread over the last few weeks I have faced a bombardment second only to
Montys Alamein in ww2 or even the Russian fight back at Stalingrad,It was a case of continuous INCOMMING , I bowed my head and weathered the storm using my own
methods of dealing with the deadly foe Depression surely the most destructive of human ailments, PD already takes its share of my resolve, but the damage sustained
when Depression hits has many times taken me to the very edge , I think I have
built a refuge in my mind , don't ask how for I cant explain its something I have
been working on for about 35 years, a combination of mental strength wisdom
awareness and channeling the rage I feel against BLACKHEART , by using all these things as a weapon I seem to be able to win back the upper hand,anyway it works for me.
Kindest Regards fed
Jolly good show Fed, Monty would be proud of you! Yeah, in the fight with depression you become battle hardened to the munitions and tactics used. This type of warfare isn't easy but we learn as we go the best way to counterattack.

I'm glad you're feeling better!

dr jonny