Despair

My husband tried to commit suicide yesterday.

He is in hospital recovering.

All the counselling and  help provided over the last 4 years cannot undo the terrible damage caused by the DAs and the effect on our marriage, family and friends.

I am so tired of the long and pointless fight to get the drug companies and neurologists to accept the horror that they created.

I am in despair  .

GG

GG

I am very sorry to hear that. As you know I have some experience of impulse control issues but I can't imagine how bad it has been for you and your family. You have been tenacious and courageous in sharing your experience and by doing this you have improved life for other people similarly affected. 

I hope you and your husband get the support you need to help you through this.

Love and Support

Elegant Fowl

Thank you for your kind words, EF.

I see GlaxoSmithKline were fined 300 million pounds today in China for bribing hospitals and doctors to prescribe their drugs and award contracts.

They pleaded guilty on condition that the trial was held in secret.

Their chief exec in China was given a suspended prison sentence and deported.

But it only happened in China.

Yes, right!

Fortunately it will only make a small dint in their 7.6 billion pounds a year profit.

My husband is slowly improving in a shambolic hospital which has lost his notes and the prescription I took in and explained in detail.

He is awaiting a head scan to check for damage caused when he fell out of bed, and received his first Sinemet of the day just after noon as pharmacy was busy.

The despair continues.

GG

Hi, GoldenGirl

I am so sorry for your husband's suffering and for the heartache you have had to endure as a consequence.

I wish your husband a quick recovery.

Redpoppy

Hello Golden Girl

I'm so sorry to hear this. I know you have gone through hell the last few years.  I do hope that things improve and you get the help that you both deserve. 

Bluebarb 

Thank you both.

It is a great comfort to come here and know that someone understands and cares.

Love

GG

GG, my heart goes out to you. I know I am often sharp in my comments on this forum, and have often had a slap on the wrists from Admin. as a  result, BUT but this a sincere post.

May you get through this, and your husband recover, and that you get the help that you need to hopefully never be in this position again.

Things are not good here but nothing compared to what you are going through right now. 

Cyber hug.

benji

Group hug!

xxxxxx

GG Im not very good with words. I carnt improve on anything that everybody else has posted .

I have been avoiding the forum for three years I was dx in 2010 but your contribution was/has always been of great help 

I am sure you will both come through this because like myself your husband has a wonderful understanding wife 

Adrian

Thank you for your kind words, Adrian and the support from everyone on here.

It helps so much.

My husband is recovering physically  in hospital and his shambolic care continues.

The ward is mainly for Altzheimers patients. There is a board on the wall in the ward which stated on Friday, "Today is Thursday" which has been changed today to " Today is Saturday". 

Yesterday the nurse in charge asked if the parking was easier " as it always is on a Sunday".

She seemed surprised when I told her it was Saturday.

My husband was visited today by a doctor and 2 mental health nurses.All three told me that they have never heard of impulse control disorders caused by DAs despite much involvement with Parkinson's patients.

They were horrified when I enlightened them.

They thought counselling might help.

If they had read his notes, lost but now found, they would have known he has had 4 years of counselling.

He went for a head scan yesterday and waited ages for a porter to bring him back. He was told he had missed tea.

The man in the bed opposite gave him a sandwich.

I have insisted he is seen by a psychiatrist who understands that an antidepressant needs to be prescribed that doesn't inter-react with Sinemet and Rasagilene as the chemist refused to dispense a prescription for Sertraline a few weeks ago as it could be fatal combined with Rasagilene.

When I told the consultant who prescribed it he refused to offer an alternative as he "didn't know enough about side effects in such patients".

The depression escalated...thus our current situation.

Our Parkinson's nurse is visiting on Wednesday and she is wonderful so advice should be forthcoming.

I would welcome advice from friends on here about antidepressants.

The despair continues...

Love

GG

Hi, Golden Girl,

Thank you for the update, though it sounds like an up-hill struggle for you both.

I really hope the Parkinson's nurse will be able to give you the much needed help and advice.

Do keep us posted. We'll be thinking of you.

Take care.

Hello Golden Girl

I've only just found this thread, I am so sorry for you both and appalled at the treatment you and your husband are suffering at the hospital.

I am sitting staring at the screen not knowing what I can write that will help.

Thinking of you

Mosie

Thank you dear Mosie.

The words don't matter, it is knowing you care. It is such a comfort to know others are wishing us well.

My husband saw another psychiatrist today who said it was very hard to identify an antidepressant that would not be harmful taken with Rasagilene.

He is being transferred to a psychiatric hospital where hopefully he will be prescribed something suitable.

He is clearly at risk if he comes home now.

I took them a pack of info about  the DA OCD horrors and she said she was surprised to learn of such a thing despite being involved with many Parkinson's patients.

This lack of knowledge horrifies me.

How many people are out there in the grip of this and unidentified?

It is still a battle to get his meds on time,   and to continue to fight to retrieve the man I knew and have been married to for nearly 50 years.

Love

GG

Golden girl

I am so sorry to hear of yours and your husbands plight , i hope he is improving , i really do understand how you feel GG my mother who also has parkinsons was in hospital a few months ago and the care she received was awful it ended up in me making a complaint through PALS  at the hospital she was in , no one could understand the importance of her medication and some days she was only given 1 sinemet a day , the doctor turned round and asked how come i knew so much about her drugs and what dosage she takes  he soon shut up when i said i had the condition myself

My mother was so shaky because she was not getting the correct medication but a nurse made her get out of bed and walk despite my mother telling them she could not because she was shaking  my mother fell  and had to have a xray on her arm to see if it was fractured luckily it wasnt  i made a complaint and had the nurse involved removed from the ward my mother was in

My heart goes out to you gg i hope things improve soon xxx

amitripyline is good it is a anti=depressive but also helps with sleep & nerve pain.i take these with sinemet have done for years all the best to both of you ! when I'm in hospital i keep my mobile on  with alarm for meds !

Thanks, Gus.The problem is with the Rasagilene, known as Azilect.

I have looked on the Internet and most sites say no antidepressants are safe with it often leading to serotonin syndrome which can be fatal.

It may well be that he has to stop taking it and then wait for 2 weeks to clear it from his system before taking an antidepressant.

I did phone the PDUK helpline but they were busy and promised a callback within 48 hours.

I still can't believe that so many medical personnel refuse to find a solution and now just shift him to a psychiatric hospital and leave them to offer something.

In the meantime my husband becomes ever more depressed and anxious.

The latest psychiatric consultant asked if we had considered Relate!

Despair continues.

Love

GG

relate thats marriage counselling are they not listening ,bet if you went private be a different story hey ! hang in there for better of worse all off that!

Thanks, Gus.....for better or worse it is!

Parkinsons helpline nurse just rang.

Best advice is that he comes off the Rasagilene, waits 2 weeks and starts antidepressants.

At last,a plan!

Will go to new hospital tomorrow and tell them what PDUK suggest and tell them to get started!

Feeling a little less despairing.

Love

GG

x

im glad things are getting sorted at last ,you go to hospital to get better not stressed out ,yeh hit the wrong key but you know what i mean all the best !

A little light at the end of the tunnel.
 Our lovely Parkinson's nurse came to see us at the hospital today and spent time with the doctor.
They have identified an anti-depressant that my husband can take with his meds without harm and he is to start taking it tonight.
Cons are that he will put on weight...good job it's not me taking it!
Our Parkinson's Nurse says that as the depression is the result of Parkinson's stopping him producing seratonin which relies on dopamine to be made, there is every chance he will improve although it is usually about 4 weeks before the chemical imbalance is sorted.
He seems to have settled in the new hospital although the care is pretty shambolic there too.
They cannot provide a walking stick as a physio has to assess him and prescribe  one...so I will drive over later with one.
It seems an insuperable obstacle to provide a water jug and he has to walk quite a way to collect a cupful from a water dispenser.
Yesterday they didn't give him any Sinemet because he had low blood pressure on waking...as always.
Our Nurse made it clear they need to give tabs on time and encourage drinking...hence a jug!
I feel better that there is now a plan to improve things.
Once again thank you for all the support .
Love
GG