Despair

Goldengirl

My wife who has PD and i went to see a consultant on Monday and he has  said for her to take 1 tab per day of  Rasagilene . Alongside the 4 sinemet she takes and the sitolapram ( anti depressant ) .I looked at the information on the Mayo clinics Website and the sitolapram isn't mentioned. What do you think ?      

What a great job you are doing... Billywhizz           

http://www.rxlist.com/drug-interactions/citalopram-oral-and-rasagiline-oral-interaction.htm

Oh Billywhizz, I am so sorry you are caught up in this...we have tried hard to get the info out there but with limited success.

The link above is the first to come up when you type citalopram and Rasagilene into a Google box.Rasagilene is also known as Azilect.

(The Mayo Clinic research is about the dangers of DAs such as Requip.)

The link  explains the danger of taking them together.

Our pharmacist refused to dispense the prescription for Azilect and was horrified my husband had been prescribed them together with Sinemet.

Eventually we were told by the chief pharmacist in the psychiatric hospital that my husband was admitted to that only Mirtazipine was safe.

Perhaps  you could print out the info and make an urgent appt to discuss the situation.

I am so pleased we were alerted before taking such a needless risk.

Do keep in touch and let us know that your wife is OK.

Love GG

Sorry...too late to edit!

Should have said " prescription for Citalopram with Azilect"

Obviously getting senior moments!

GG

Just in case you are as muddled as me!

"Patients and Caregivers Clinician Explanation
Serious - Use Alternative
Potential for serious interaction; regular monitoring by your doctor required or alternate medication may be needed
citalopram oral and rasagiline oral

citalopram oral and rasagiline oral both increase affecting serotonin levels in the blood. Too much serotonin is a potentially life-threatening situation. Severe signs and symptoms include high blood pressure and increased heart rate that lead to shock. Combination may increase risk of potentially life-threatening reactions such as serotonin syndrome or neuroleptic malignant syndrome (a neurological disorder).

Patient Drug Interactions Source: RxList"
© 2015 RxList, Inc.

goldengirl

Thanks for the info and the link, we have not got the Rasagiline on prescription yet because our GP has not received the letter from the consultant. My wife will ring our GP and ask for an appointment and we will take the information with us. It may be that we can change antidepressants and then use the Rasagiline but we will see.......nothing is straight forward with PD !!!! But you never know our GP or Pharmacist may have spotted the problem. Anyway thanks to you we are aware of the problem and i will let you know how we get on

Many thanks to you Billywhizz

Years ago when  was depressed I took several antidepressants.How depressing those years were.lolThe more I took the worse i got till I found Dr. Low.That was over twenty years ago and now even with PD stage 3 and myoclonus  I still enjoy a mind free from fear and doubt.Right now i don't even have a doctor other than a VA primary.Hopefully I can find a doctor someday that will be sincere in helping me.

Sometimes i think maybe it's the message I bring to people that they can overcome emotional distress and avoid the stigma of mental illness.Without the need for long term psychiatric meds of course.

It's amazing how changing one's thoughts and moving your muscles can overcome so  much emotional distress.

A thought brings it on and a thought takes it away

Mirtazipine seems to be regarded as the safest anti-depressant with Rasagilene  but was still introduced slowly and kept at a low dose.

I do hope you get sme better-informed treatment.

How frightening that the neuros do not know about serious drug interactions.

love

GG

Just read this post  i have been on Rasigline and Citalopran for 6 years!! Should I panic?

If you have not developed any worrying symptoms by now, I would assume you are not one of those affected and need not worry.

When a drug reaction is classified as "serious" it means a high number of patients experience serious , potentially life-threatening side effects.

Where this is known and warnings published, it is not right , in my opinion, for doctors to let patients take part in the Russian roulette of finding out if they will be the unlucky one.

There are other, safer anti-depressants.

I have always understood anti-depressants are for short-term use only and other talking therapies such as cognitive behaviour approaches offer a non-drug solution.

My husband and I benefited from a variety of counselling sessions including learning mindfulness techniques.

Too many doctors push pills at the anxious and depressed patient, in my opinion.

They have a useful role in getting one over the initial , bottom of the pit stage of depression and lift the mood sufficiently to allow other strategies to be explored.

If you feel well and have confidence in your doctor, it is your decision to keep on  the path you are on or look at alternatives.

Love

GG

Have been in touch with our GP today and my wife is coming off the citalopran and going on mirtazapine before taking rasigiline. JUJU i am glad to hear that you are having no bad effects from them meds. Goldengirl our GP new about the citalopran/rasigiline problems but i took her a print out anyway, maybe i should send one to the consultant !!!!!

Billywhizz

I am so pleased things have been sorted, Billywhizz.

I do hope your wife responds well to the meds and feels better soon.

I am so cross that neuros do not keep on top of necessary info when prescribing....after all, many PWPs suffer from depression as part of the Parkinsons package.

How do we stop doctors  risking patients' wellbeing?

Love

GG

Well,  things have progressed and now he has been prescribed Rivastigimine  due to narrowing of the blood vessels in his brain ....

..... which has caused memory loss and confusion over some time. At least we now have a diagnosis after the CT scan and some sort of progress with medication, maybe?

Anyone else on this drug?

Hi Everyone,

Today I am going to start to reduce the Citalopran until I am not taking it at all. It will probably take  a number of weeks.  I am hoping that I don't and won't need them anymore

JUJU

Good luck JUJU, my wife is slowly coming off Citalopran (30mg) and then going on Mirtazapan but she is going to try just half a tab (15mg), in readiness for the addition of Rasigiline to work alongside the sinemet. Fingers crossed the change in meds works

Billywhizz

Hi JuJu & Billywhizz,

Go slow with the reduction of Citalopran it can be a shock to the system, today I have started the ball rolling to get me off Zoplicone from full strength 7.5 mg to 3.5 mg, will probably take three months but better to gently do it as to quick to much of a shock to system.

I wish you both luck let me know how you get on xx BB

bb ,may i ask why your coming off sleeping tablet

Gus

Hope you don't mind me jumping in but Citalopran is an antidepressant, it doesn't go well with Rasigiline, thats the reason my wife is coming off them

Billywhizz

Gus

Sorry but i read BBs post wrong didn't realise she meant coming of Zoplicone !!

Billywhizz

I hope you are going to educate the idiot neuro, Billywhizz!

Love

GG

Finding them less effective again actually take and get no sleep at all some nights want some normality back into my sleep pattern I know it will be hard but whilst out of work best time to do it.

BB x