Diagnosed on September 4th

Was on a family holiday this May when we noticed my left had started to shake a little, my dad sked if I was cold which I replied I wasn’t. As the holiday progressed we noticed the shaking was getting more frequent and more noticeable than before so it was decided a Dr appointment was required. By the time my visit to the Dr arrived the shaking had slightly affected my left arm as well.
My Dr did some tests after I told him what had been happening, my left arm and hand was shaking through this. On the hand co ordination test he did on me my right side was fine but my left was all over the place with the shaking. He had no idea as to what was causing it and recommended I have an M.R.I scan done on my neck, thinking trapped nerve might be the cause.
Things got worse before the M.R.I was due to happen and I was sent to my local hospital for further tests. A CT scan was done of my brain to rule out tumor or bleeds. The M.R.I scan was altered to do my head and neck. After the results of the scan came back I was referred to the Neurologist after an abnormal scan,
I was seen by the Neurologist on September 4th and after answering questions and more tests and observations I was diagnosed with Idiopathic Parkinson’s disease.
I have been prescribed Madopar 62.5 capsules ( Co-Beneldopa ) on a 4 week build up plan to required dosage as requested by the Neurologist. If no side effects when I see the Dr night time tablet will be added to be done for another 3 to 4 weeks then rechecked for results of my symptoms if no change daytime dosage to be increased by directions of the Neurologist. An appointment to see the Neurologist has been set for December 4th to see how things are going with the medication.

Sorry if this is long and I must add that I am 43 years old and my occupation is a CnC Lathe operator for an engineering firm that makes Gas detection equipment for industry. By the time I see the Neurologist I would of been off work for a period of 5 months as I am unable to do my job at the present time. Again sorry for the long post.

Welcome to the forum. There are a number of us with “young onset” PD (ie under the age of 50) so you are not alone. The first few months will likely be up and down but hopefully you will find some good support here.

I”m two years since diagnosis and discovering that, whilst you have to make changes to live with PD, you can still live a lot of life.

Best of luck!

1 Like

Hi @BrYTaC,

Welcome to the forum.

Please don’t apologise for the length of your post. The forum is a safe space for you to express how you feel and we encourage our members to be speak candidly about what they’re going through. :slightly_smiling_face:

With that being said and given that you were recently diagnosed, I think you would benefit from reading the ‘Newly diagnosed’ section on our website here - https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/newly-diagnosed-parkinsons. There’s a lot of information on financial help that’s available in light your current employment issues.

By law, an employer must help an employee with a condition like Parkinson’s to overcome any problems they have by making changes to working arrangements. These changes are called ‘reasonable adjustments’ which we have more information on here - https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/work-and-parkinsons

I’m sure you’ll receive some more helpful advice from our members, but I hope the info above is useful in the meantime.

Best wishes,
Reah