Diagnosed Today

Hi there, my name is Julie, I’m 52 and was diagnosed with Parkinsons today. I was previously diagnosed with FND in 2018 but due to increase in symptoms attributable to Parkinsons I visited my GP who advised a neurology referral. Due to the waiting times for NHS I booked a private appointment with my neurologist from 2018.

He did various checks and said that he (and another neurologist) had got it wrong in 2018 and the diagnosis was Parkinsons. He advised I did not require a scan and he is starting me on sinemet straight away.

It is a shock to get the diagnosis but a relief to be able to start treatment that will hopefully manage my symptoms.

These forums are a great find and seem so supportive :smile:

Best wishes

Julie

Welcome @J! Yes, you’ll find the forums very supportive, as you’ll no doubt find out when other members see your post. I’m sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but we’re here for you.

I’d encourage you to read our website, particularly the pages for people with a new diagnosis. You’ll find a wealth of information there and throughout the site.

If you find you have concerns, do call our Helpline at 0808 800 0303. Our local advisers are there to offer advice and support.

I’m looking forward to seeing more from you,
Janice
Forum Moderation Team

Hi @J, Julie, welcome to the good ship Parky !! You are unique in as much that everyone on here has different forms of the disease. Once you’re over the initial shock of the diagnosis the important thing to remember is to not change anything in your daily routine because of it. You will know in yourself when you are unable to do something, hopefully you’re a long way off this stage. Go about your daily life as before, the thing I tell people is that you have Parky, it doesn’t have you !! Be positive in your thoughts and attitude and you will be just fine. There are plenty of good, helpful people on the Forum so if there’s anything you want to ask anytime just do it, someone will give you an answer even if the Moderators have to step in to help(they are very good on here). Take care and stay safe.

Les

Thanks, much appreciated :smiley:

@J, One thing I didn’t mention is to have the ability to laugh at yourself and make light of your plight and don’t keep it from your nearest and dearest. Tell people that you have Parkinsons, you will soon find out who your true friends are and if someone sees you struggling with a task don’t refuse their help, you may be able to return the favor another time. It isn’t what you wanted in life but we all make our own paths and you will find yours and your coping mechanisms. Take care.

Les

@cruisecontroller thanks so much- in my family humour is our chief coping mechanism :joy: All my “main people” have been told and are absolutely brilliant so that’s been fabulous :grin:

1 Like

Hi Julie, I know this is not the best news you would have wanted, but I think you have started out very wisely by being open with friends and family about your diagnosis. This will make things much easier and you will receive support from them. I was diagnosed almost 8 years ago. Since then my meds have had to be increased gradually, but on the whole, I manage to lead a pretty full and normal life, granted with the support and love of my husband, family and friends. I am now 71 and my philosophy is to take one day at a time, thank God for all the positive things I enjoy and not think about what might happen in the future. I wish you all the best In the days that lie ahead.

@Musical66 thanks so much :grin: