Do you still get the common cold with Parkinsons?

Hello
It was something that occurred to me over the years and I wondered if it was fact or fiction…and whether there was any science behind it?

My mum has had Parkinson’s for 19 years and never seemed to catch the common cold, once she was diagnosed.

Did anyone else have this experience?

For what it’s worth I haven’t had a cold since being diagnosed in 2019. However I put that down to regular outdoor exercise and multivitamin tablets. I had not heard that theory.

I’ve only been diagnosed since November 2019 but have not had a cold since then. Must admit that I hadn’t thought about it until you mentioned it.

I was diagnosed 8 years ago, I have had a cold :sneezing_face:

Hello HavanaS
I actually asked my Parkinson’s Nurse about this some time ago when I hadn’t had a cold since diagnosis and she said there wasn’t much research but anecdotally others had said the same. Pre diagnosis I regularly had a cold, since diagnosis I had one slight sniffle just before Christmas, I hesitate to even call it a cold, that lasted barely 48 hours and was very mild symptomwise; in fact if I had had my vaccination I would have probably put it down to that.

I have only found one piece of research that found people with Parkinsons Catch fewer colds and are usually mild.

I just had a full on cold!