Does dance help with Parkinson's symptoms?

Those with mild pd symptoms can go to a normal dance session. Folk dance club welcome beginners.
Hello, all. I've only just got back to the forum; still cant quite work it out! Thanks for your replies and pleased to see such interest in dancing for Parkinsons. I have searched the web again and found a few sites I had missed before, but NOTHING remotely near this part of the country (Chelmsford, Essex). We have a good dance school in Chelmsford and I am sure I could persuade them to set up a 'Dance for Parkinsons' class. I know it would be popular. Is there any training they could do?
Keep dancing :grin:
I found the dance sessions I attended at the WPC in Glasgow last year quite a revelation.
It was great fun and everyone moved round the room without any problems and we did not bump into each other at all. I find it very difficult not to bump into other people in crowded situations. Does anyone else have this problem or know why this happens ?

I would love to join a dance class, but in North Wales there seems to be very little available for adults that is not too far to go and is suitable for someone with PD. Does anyone know of any groups I could join in Conwy county, eg Llandudno or Colwyn Bay?:question:
Hi all,
Have not posted for a little while , main reason being low feeling - must be something in the air , seems to be quite a few of us struggling lately. Am working through new meds. regime as well , so every morning , have to pull myself up by the boot straps , so to speak.
Anyway, this is to encourage , cos it's a good day today !
This is the 5 th week of the class i've been doing to for pwp's. Today a chap came down from London to show us Indian swinging clubs. No , it's nothing to do with pole dancing or suchlike , sorry gentlemen.
Have a look on ' you tube ' for a demo !
The exercise was really fantastic , easy to follow and , best of all , my stiff shoulder feels so good.
We must try to get more of these classes set up around the country , so many would benefit. Next week , some PD nurses from a different area , are coming to find out what it's all about.
I better get practising for next week ! :smile:
Hi Lorna,
Sounds different,exercise using what could be classed as weapons.Seeing as my sons do Martial arts,i,ll go and have a look.Will get back to you on what i and they think.Mind you our living room is that small we would be knocking each other out if trying it at home.Keep it up though,sounds like physically its doing you good.
Mentally,take my hand and we shall help each other climb out of this low that ive dragged us into.Wimbledon is in full swing,so with clubs and rackets lets beat the blues and serve some aces.:smile:
Tight hold now
Titan
T.
Dusting off the spiders webs , there's my racket, off we go.
Aces lining up to be served. :smile:
Note of warning to any other potential club swingers , better do it outside !
I pushed back my settee and switched on Elton -- could do the basic moves in that space , but ideally -- a field or parade ground ! You're right , Titan :rolling_eyes:
Lorna,
Had a look and the club swinging looks like good physio but it would have to be gradually introduced.The footage i watched,the guy had his arms in all sorts of weird positions.My sons were not to impressed though.If you saw them in action you would understand why,the physical moves and kicks they use,and the flexibility would have you amazed.
Would be good for pwp though.
keep it up
Titan
HI Titan,
Have also been looking on the you tube films of Indian Club swinging and see that it was even an Olympic sport , early in the 20th century.
We learned only a few basic moves , it was very enjoyable , done in a small group with lively music, though i think any type, fast or slow would be ok.
The potential for display , is also there.
It would be good if i could find a proper instructor for the group, as this is a whole new activity , aside from dance/ exercise.
Its evening time , and my back and shoulder still feel good!
Can't be bad.
Lorna.
Hi all

We have now added a new venue (and therefore new dates) for our research looking at the benefits that dance can have on Parkinson's. We will now be running once weekly sessions at the University of Hertfordshire, based in Hatfield starting the last week of September.

If you are interested in taking part, or wish to find out more information or whether you are eligible for the study, please contact the researchers directly:
Carine Lewis,
Project Coordinator
School of Psychology,
University of Hertfordshire
Hertfordshire
AL10 9AB
Tel: 01707 281340
Email: [email protected]
Hi all,
I expect you're wondering what I got up to at the last session of Dance/exercise for pwp.
Well , it was Tap this week ! There we were kitted out with umbrella's and walking sticks, and even one fellow had a broom handle ! The music from ' Singing in the rain' came drifting over the speakers and we learned a simple routine with very easy steps, over the next hour and a half.
Really good fun , and satisfying.
I was pleased because the session was attended by ; Get ready for fancy title -- the Community Matron in P.D. who , give her , her due, did join in , in between making and receiving phone calls ! I'm sure they'd have never stood for that at the Royal Ballet !
When all was over , I had a chat with her and she had to agree, it was marvellous , the way we were moving all through the session. There is one very 'tubby' man there, who has difficulty even standing. Well I won't say he was quite as good as Gene Kelly, but with a bit more practise , well...................... you never know !
The P.D. Matron was saying how hard it is to get people to try new things. And how reluctant they are to try an unfamiliar activity. Makes me very frustrated , as I feel incredibly lucky to be able to go to these sessions, and am concerned it may not continue if not enough people come.
Our teacher is working towards having us make a short video , to show , not sure where , as only a small number attend the local P.D. branch meetings.
Anyway, if you get the chance and already have , or even try to find a teacher to run such an activity , I thoroughly recommend it.
Better than sitting in front of our screens too much, be they Computer or T.V.

Found two good quotes to encourage you ;

If you can talk, you can sing.
If you can walk (even if only a little)
you can dance.

AND

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to be over.
It's about learning to dance in the rain.

All the best
Lorna.
Who was this Jean Kelly lady anyway?
Jean Kelly ?

Sister of Freda Stare i think , Ray , isn't she ?
Oh yes, they were 2 RAF pilots: Ginger and Rogers
"Prevention: Activity is the best medicine"

That's the title of a really interesting article in the journal Nature. It's about how lifestyle factors like dancing might help stave off dementia.

Take a look:

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v475/n7355_supp/full/475S16a.html
Are there any plans for this to come to Birmingham or anywhere close. I would love to take part in this, but London and Manchester are too far.......
Hi All,
Just to give those interested, an update on this subject.
Not so good news first. Today I learned that our Dance and exercise sessions for PD. were finishing. :disappointed:
The reason, falling numbers , combined with injuries.
I'm afraid I fall into the injuries group, as a while ago , I fell and caused trauma to my knee. Not at the class , I hasten to reassure you. It happened at home ! I've been managing on crutches for about 3 months now as advised by the Dr, who hopes by taking this 'wait and see approach', I may avoid surgery.
I'm hoping he's right.
Now for some better news. Our teacher is going to be involved with the English National Ballet initive for the introduction of 'Dancing for Parkinsons' to a wider number of people in the U.K. Bournemouth, Dorset, Liverpool, and the South-East area are the places planned.
If you'd like to find out more, type English National Ballet, Parkinson's. into your search engine.
You can also see part of a documentary shown earlier this year , where Toby Anstis , who is also a trained dancer as well as a DJ, takes part in a session.
Hopefully I'll be on the mend soon, and get into it again. The classes are due to start in the Autumn.
I hope this may be of interest.
All the best.
Thanks for that. I hope this initiative gets going sooner rather than later.
Lorna, the main reason the dance class is finishing is not principally because of injuries and falling numbers. It is because a new class has started up 2 miles away and our teacher is going to join them and is refusing to continue with our class. This new class is an extension of English National Ballet and they started up the new class without apparently knowing of our existence. In fact the existing class this week had 50% more people attending than last week.

pax

Good news!

We have now been running a dance class in North Wales for about a year. We meet once a month in Llandudno Junction and have a super teacher who has already made a very artistic video of our efforts.

We had some funding to run it which will last until this autumn, but some generous donations from local organisations will fill the gap for us, once initial funding is used up.

Currently those attending the session are all members of the Llandudno and District Support Group but if anyone else with Parkinson's in the area would like to join us they would be welcome, provided they are members of Parkinson's UK.

Hi i took up ballroom dancing in my 50s also line dancing and Sequence.........i found it was becoming more difficult with  tight muscles and rigidity and other various symptoms from around 2009...in Feb 2013 i was diagnosed with PD and once my meds were controlling the symptoms my dancing and energy improved. i have prolapse discs and arthritis as well as PD but i love music and dancing and when i go on holiday i am generally one of the last to leave the dance floor! it helps very much with my balance and co-ordination and i feel alive.......Dancing for me is the best exercise there is with or without PD. I don't live anywhere near Manchester or London but i just thought i would add my input and i wish you well in your findings.