Dreaded constipation!

That was great, Martini. big grin

well i am still on the tangerines and so far so good

how are we all doing now, regular i hope. One thing springs to mind is not to only concentrate on what we can eat to treat constipation but look  at what we should avoid eating in the first place.  I have a liking for fruit pastille / wine gums, jelly babies etc. I can't eat just one or two i eat the whole bag(must be ocd). So I try to avoid totally because if i do binge then i get constipation. I also find that exercise is a vital part of our regime, especially ones that twist our midriff . Drinking plenty of water as well plus of course small oranges. 

My PD nurse got my doctor to prescribe Movicol (or something like that) but he prescribed me an alternative (begins with Lax, can't remember the full name) and it's vile! It's supposed to be orange flavour but it tastes like salt water so makes me feel a bit sick. It doesn't seem to be working particularly well either.

theres several things you can take but you really should try the tangerines . I have one or two in the morning and a large glass of water then do a few simple exercises and hey presto it works. Also cut down on the bread. I try to include ryvita into my snacks.I have been ok since xmas except last weekend when i overdosed on wine gums. Ok now though.

Do mandarins count? I eat them quite often (I have three on my desk right now).

I do eat quite a good diet - lots of beans, lentils, fruit, vegetables, seeds, not too much bread (I eat the seeded type anyway). I have a huge portion of chia seeds and of the mixed seeds (I think it's called salad sprinkle) from Holland & Barrett on my cereal every morning. Oh, and live yoghurt when I remember to buy it.

I'd much rather sort the constipation with food than medicine but I don't know what else I can eat!

believe it or not but too much fibre in your diet will cause severe constipation. It simply overwhelms your digestive system. A lot of fibre requires lots of water to break it down plus it becomes difficult to move along. we should only need around 30 grams a day. I think you may be overdoing it. try cutting way back and increase your water consumption plus try a few torso exercises.keep eating the mandarins.

Didn't know that about roughage - thanks!

I have used Psyllium in capsule & powder form(bought from the health food shop) on & off in the past & found it really helpful but don't think it's recommended for long term use.  Prunes in fruit juice has been helpful for me but I shall start eating tangerines/mandarins & add to my shopping list as they would be easy to take with me during the day!

Su.

make sure you drink plenty of water, none of us drink enough. I drink a pint in the morning and several during the day. Plus some form of exercise that involves your tummy. I never found prune  juice worked for me so just have water mainly. I try not to go over the top on anything now just the water

My wife has had constipation related to several PD medications  our  PD  Nurse has said to take yoghurt and to eat prunes in any manner whatsoever  , we always real have oatmeal for breakfast daily ,and for her  presently there is no more constipation these last 15 years.

Some in our PD  group swear by taking a few ounces of infant formula pear sauce with stewed prunes twice a day  , we were told it is safe for PD patients to also use Metamucil.

Hope it helps to explore various "natural"  bowel movers.

Best wishes,

Mike

Hi mike 

i don't like prunes so here's one to try Tropicana with juicy bits glass breakfast and a good size glass with evening meal  works for me ,  my wife says it's loaded with sugar but I don't care ! One to try for a change 

take care   Ian 

Try a glass of red wine (more if you you want!!) each night with your dinner. I like Blossom Hill fruity wine, slurp,slurp

Sheila x

Hi Sheila 

brilliant ! 

Ian xx

Well it works for me, but remember you don't need to get pxxxxxxxxd !!

Happy days

Sheila

I've found something quite good: Colon Cleanse from Biovea (an online shop I've been buying from for years so I know it's trustworthy).

Colon Cleanse is made from herbs and fruit extracts and you just add between 30 and 50 drops to a little water once or twice a day. Despite being a murky dark brown colour, it doesn't really taste of anything. A bit on the pricey side but it works.

Thanks Tabbycat but I think I'll stick to the red wine if it's all the same to you!

Sheila x

Aye Sheila 

your better with the wine hic hic , but on a serious note whatever works I use Tropicana but would love a tenants lager ! Burb burb !!!

ian xx

I love wine, but unfortunately Ropinerol doesn't mix well with it and now it just puts me to sleep. 

Let you into a secret Tabbycat, I'm on 16mg of Ropinirole, and I can honestly say it does not effect my wine drinking in any way, how lucky is that!

My commiseration to you  - Sheila xx