Driving Appraisal

Hi, I'm new on here but would like advise please. I was diagnosed last year at the age of 43 (had symptoms a year before) Parkinson's effects just my right side of my body but was told I had to inform dvla. I informed them and after ten months of hearing nothing I receive a letter saying I need to take this driving appraisal. This would be okay if it was at my local Skegness dvsa centre but my Parkinson's nurse seems to think I will have to take it in Hull? This is nearly 2hrs away from me and I've never driven in Hull in my life. I took my test in Skegness 27yrs ago and there is no way I can do this appraisal in a city that I've never been too. All I need my licence for is to drive to my parents, my local town for school runs, I live in a rural area and with my dad dying of terminal cancer and only having a few months to live this is extra worry I could do without. Does anyone know about where these appraisals are held at and How bad they are? 

Hi The 44 so what does this mean will you have to sit a test I thought you just have to inform them. I wonder if your insurance will go up. I drive a lot but it would be like asking me to drive in London. I am waiting to be diagnosed and have been told not to drive. Good luck would be interest to see what you have to do. Give an update.

Hi Tlw44,

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to read you're worried about the driving appraisal; hopefully the suggestions below will help.

We have a very active thread on this forum about DVLA licence issues. You can find it here: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/forum/thread/71397 You might find it useful to read about other people's experiences. 

Please do feel free to give our helpline a ring on 0808 800 0303, if you'd like to speak to one of our trained advisers. The helpline is open Monday-Friday: 9am-7pm & Saturday: 10am-2pm). 

You could also get in touch with the DVLA and ask them to tell you more about the appraisal. For DVLA enquiries regarding a medical condition you can contact the Drivers Medical Group via 0300 790 6806 (Monday-Friday: 8am-5.30pm and Saturday: 8am–1pm). 

Best wishes,

Ilona (Moderation Team).

Hi PJ

They say it's not a test but looking at leaflet it's pretty much the same rules as a test, you have someone next to you assessing your driving and takes 40 minutes apparently which includes 10 minutes of independent driving. I will let you know what happens but there's no way I'm going to Hull to take it. Let me know your outcome 

I look forward to hearing what happens. My other half will have to go through this at some point, if I am honest she wasnt the best driver in the world before she bacame ill so I fear she wont do very well on a test. Nerves may well get the better of her. We shall see.

Good luck

Hi Twl44 so please you are going on a test good luck will be thinking of you. I am not going to drive anymore I don't want to sit a test and also I would worry about driving and having a accident. Take care PJ

Hi twl44

I'm puzzled - my husband has had pd for 10 years and hasnt been asked to take a driving assessment (yet).  Each time his licence has come up for renewal it has been granted on the strength of a form completed by his neurologist.  Maybe they have tightened the rules - we will soon find out as it is up for renewal again next March. 

Good luck with it anyway

Hi all

just to let you know I took my driving appraisal this morning, I had it at my local DVSA centre at Skegness thank goodness. Had couple of silly moments as I was so nervous but I got A's and B's all through and an overall pass. Now I have to wait and see what DVLA decision is. Does anyone know how long this will take?

so pleased it's over but the assessor was very nice and reassuring 

Hi there tlw44,

good news about your driving appraisal. I don't know much about these and how often you have to do them. Hope you hear some more good news soon.

Driving Appraisal day for the wife, fingers crossed

Bugger, no driving for 6 months and then re-assess. But decision up to DVLA. Bugger