Driving licence

My husband was diagnosed with Parkinson’s in May and we all have all spent time coming to terms with it. We’ve all agreed that nothing much has changed - that is until today. When his consultant gave him the diagnosis she said that he would need to inform the DVLA but that she didn’t see any reason why he shouldn’t continue to drive. Great news as he is very much a car man and loves driving although these days he doesn’t drive far. We live in a sleepy town where taxis are rare. His office is 5 mins drive away from home and he only drives within a 10 mile radius. He informed the DVLA and this morning he received a letter from them saying that they have cancelled his driving licence from 4th July (ironically Independence Day!!!). He is totally devastated - before this he had coped well with the diagnosis but this is a whole new situation. Please if any of you have been through this and maybe appealed can you let me know the outcome? We’d be so grateful to hear your comments.

1 Like

Hi @liz4198. I’ve just noticed that you’ve had no replies yet, so I’m jumping in for an update. Has anything happened since you first posted this?

I can only imagine how difficult a situation this is for both of you. Losing your independence can be devastating in many ways. It’s a complex and individual situation and one a lot of people have to deal with. Have you thought of appealing this decision and enlisting the help of the consultant?

I’d strongly encourage you to read our page here: Driving and Parkinson's | Parkinson's UK which includes information for legal services. As well, please do ring our Helpline on 0808 800 0303. They may have other advice for you.

Crossing my fingers,
Janice
Forum Moderation Team

Hi Liz,

I find that really odd that they have cancelled your husbands driving licence. When my husband who was diagnosed almost two years ago informed the DVLA anout his diagnosis they wrote back to tell him his license will be changed to a 3 year license and will then be reviewed.
I think this is a mistake for your husband as they would need evidence from your husbands gp as to why he cant drive.

Maybe get intouch with your husbands gp to query it.

Many thanks for your reply.
We have spoken to our GP who says that the DVLA have not been in touch with him.
That just leaves the consultant who said that she would recommend that he’s fit to drive.
So we shall appeal​:crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:
I’ll let you know what happens.

Thanks Janice
We are going to appeal as both GP and consultant have advised us to do it as neither of them agree with the DVLA’s decision.
It won’t be solved quickly but we feel that it’s important to do it.
Thanks for your support.