Driving license issues

I am renewing my driving license in July.
Do I contact my insurance company first, or do I go ahead with the DVLA web site.
New to this .
Thank you in advance
Tony

Hi @Haynes46,

When you are diagnosed with Parkinson’s, you must tell your licensing agency straight away. This is a legal requirement. We have more information about driving your licensing agency via the Parkinson’s UK website, here.

If you need to speak to someone about this in more detail, you are always welcome to contact our helpline on 0808 800 0303.

Best wishes,
Reah

As long as you’ve informed your Insurance Company about your status then you can do your renewal of your licence on line but it may take sometime but DVLA will give you a covering letter. My renewal has been ongoing since December 2019, there are people who have been waiting a lot longer. The DVLA was exposed in the papers only the other day about their inefficiencies.

Les

Thank you Reah

1 Like

Reah Do you have a blue badge when I first found out that I had PD it was my nurse who told me to get one. At the time I thought i did not need it, but it now goes with me every where. Driving license each time thet hav have renewed it the DVLA have contacted my nurse or doctor. and they will only give you a license for 2 years. Going back to the blue badge when I renewd my blue badge PD was not on there list, so I wrote them a letter telling them of the symptoms that i have and a Blue badge was issued. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Hi,
So how soon after diagnosis did you say tou got issued a blue badge?? Ww were told that my husband wasnt sick enough to get one?

Hi Karenk To be honest I can’t remember the date, It was ny PD nurse that told me to apply. After having my Blue Badge renewed once, when I applied again then would not renew it, so I appealed and wrote on a piece of paper about PD as all they seem to think about is how far can you walk. So I am going to write down a few things that i told them, feel free to use same words that I used.This is some things that i wrote down.
“Parkinson’s” is not just a Temor and Shaking, Or about how far you can walk (this seems to be all the Blue Badge people want to know) after sitting in the car or sofa I find it difficult to stand, as I am very stiff with Parkinson’s. I just have to wait till I feel OK. I am some times in a lot of pain. Parkinson’s is a slow progressive neurological condition, and I will not get better, in fact my mobility will get worse. I am very slow you must give me time. As far as I kmow the Blue Badge people now do take Parkinsons into consideration. Let me know how you get on. If I can help you any more just send email. PS Don’t forget the Blue Badge is not just for your car (like it used to be) but you canb take it with you and use it in any car, yours Mary 1947

1 Like