Driving

When I drive I sometimes drift to the right or left and my judgement when Overtaking is not what it was Can anyone relate to this
1 Like

I can't say i've noticed any difference with my driving and my hubby still dares sit with me! I will have to renew my licence the end of this year 2015, cos when I told the DVLA I had PD they took my licence away and gave me one back for just three years.  I think if I had any problems I would just give up driving, till then I'll continue as long as I can. Hope you'll be ok.

Sheffy

HI NEVBAR.........THATS A WORRY! SHOULD YOU BE DRIVING? DO YOU HAVE PARKY? IF SO HOPE YOU HAVE TOLD THE DVLA ELSE IF YOU HAVE AN ACCIDENT YOUR INSURANCE WILL BE VOID.

MY PARKY NURSE SAYS I AM FINE TO DRIVE BUT STILL WAITING FOR THE OK FROM THE DVLA...TAKES AGES sad 

MY HUSBAND HAD TO GIVE UP DRIVING AS HE WAS VEERING TO THE LEFT AND MOUNTED THE PAVEMENT IN THE END, HE DID NOT FEEL SAFE.....AND NOR DID I!!!!!!!! HE DOES NOT HAVE PARKY BUT UNBEKNOWN TO US AT THE TIME HE HAD A BRAIN TUMOUR AND HYDROCEPHALUS  WHICH WAS CAUSING MANY SYMPTOMS AND HAS SINCE HAD 2 MAJOR OPS SINCE SEPTEMBER. HE IS DOING WELL NOW BUT DEF NOT GETTING BEHIND THE WHEEL.

TAKE CARE .....BEST WISHES

Thanks for the comments

I have not notified dvla yet as i have not been driving. I had my datscan yesterday so i will wait for the confirmation or otherwise before doing anything

Hello Nevbar, for your own peace of mind and for the safety of you, your family, and all other road users, perhaps you might consider a few hours driving with a reputable Driving Instructor, and get his/her views ?

I realise you have not been officially diagnosed yet so dont need to inform DVLA, but would it not make sense to get your driving checked out by by someone other than family or friends in the meantime ?.

...and Dollymaz, no need to to write whole post in caps, its regarded as shouting, small case is fine. smiley

Best Wishes cheeky

RoSPA have a road safety arm as follows:

http://www.roadar.org/drivers/driving-assessments.htm

As I already have an Advanced Driving Cert. for the modest cost of jioing this organisation I was provided with a six week course when I weas accompanied out and about by a RoSPA imstructor to monitor my driving.

I can't for the moment find a link which is not headed up with talk of advanced driving quals. but a phone call would be worth it.

I've just 'served' a four week stint of not driving following the GDNF surgery.  This was the recommendation of the doctors as a general precaution following elective brain surgery.  

I knew the DVLA had to be informed and they are making their own enquiries, which may be a reason for a driving assessment this time as my licence has been renewed 3 times now since being DX.  The last time involved a reactions test which I was 'excellent' at as my meds were working so I was 'on', just like when I drive.  I don't drive 'off' though have heard others say they think they're OK when 'off'. Scary.  I view driving when 'off' the same as driving when tired, dangerous for everyone.

The real issue will be if an assessment time doesn't match up with an 'on' period.  I'd be a bit stuffed if they can't be flexible on the day, as meds work at different times but I know that once I'm 'on' it will last 2hrs and I always drive with a spare 'driver' in the car when going any distance now.  The alternative was to park up while my 'parky' meds kicked in again. I know I can adjust the timings of meds but that route usually leads to my meds effectiveness being compromised for days if not weeks.

I applied for my driving licence to be renewed back in May 2014.   This is the 3rd time that i should be given a continuation but after months of waiting had passed, I finally received a letter from DVLA to say they were still looking into my application but  I could use this letter as proof that i was allowed to drive.

I have now received a letter from DVLA to say that I needed to do an assessment exam before they will consider my application.     I had different feelings, firstly that I would do this assessment as soon as possible.  Then I started chickening out and was not going to put myself through something that was going to give me such great anxiety.  Then I changed my mind again.  If I didn't do the test, I won't get my licence and if I  take it, I hopefully will do OK but if I don't do OK, well at least I tried. 

I am confident that my driving is up to scratch, it's just the anxiety it causes me that I worry about.  I'll keep you updated with what happens;.

all the best

Casie

Stay with it Casie and good luck, I will have to go through the same thing at the end of this year, dreading it at well. Know how you feel!

All the best Sheffy xx

Thanks for your concern Kyloe, and once ive had my eye op on the 2nd Feb i am hoping that i will not need to use BIG letters. I certainly do not intend anybody to think i am shouting!!

nevbar.

Do you really think you should be driving? From what you say I don't think that you should be.

Consider the person you crash into when you drift across the road and maybe cause a  fatal acident. Could you live with that?? Whether it's Parkinsosn or not you do have a problem which you should address responsibly.

My OH decided not to renew his license and they were not driving as you say you are. As a family we were just concerned at maybe a slow raction time and the possible consequences.

Those of you who say you drive only when your meds are working OK and never when you are in an 'off' period, what if one of those 'off' periods happens when you ARE driving??? Sorry,..... but that attitude is completely irresponsible, IMO.

Dollymaz my apologies in that I did not realise why your always shouting. , you seem to be able to read normal text but if not then my apology can be bigger, bolder, and sincere.

i apologise most sincerely and wish you well for your eye op  in feb smiley

Hi benji You must have missed my co.md t that I Don't drive and will not till I have my diag osis confirmed I would not be so irresponsible so don't worry all roAd users are safe
Hi benji I have not drven sonce I was provisionaly diagnosed So everbody is safe on the road
Hi benji I have not drven sonce I was provisionaly diagnosed So everbody is safe on the road

Every pwp has off periods when their symptoms aren't under full or any control.  When I notice the initial signs, which I do, I stop within 15 mins where safe and wait for meds to work or change drivers.  Motorways are to be wary of if there's any sign of holdups.  The hard shoulder is safer than driving on if you've got in a jam and gone off before the next exit.  

Thanks again for your good advice kendo I will keep you posted

Sent my form off to DVLA last week. Driving is a big part of my job and so far I'm not noticing any particular problems.

If it turns out I have to renew every three years does anyone know if there's a charge and if so if there's any possibility to claim it back as an expense from somewhere?

theres no charge for 3yr licence ,also they pay gp for medical if needed.

Hi Everyone.....well finally after an op on my eye and 2 eye tests for the DVLA later i have been granted a 3 year extension on my licence yay!!!! i am so chuffed as Mr Dolly is not allowed to drive yet since his Brain Tumor and hydrocephallus operations. Now all i need is a nice little automatic motor, i prefer manual but my back doesn't!!! No i didn't have to pay anything, just fill in forms and send off a photo.