Dudopa Pump

Hi

My husband is 72 has had Parkinsons disease for over 20 years now. About three years ago he started using the Duodopa Pump (the levedopa/carbidopa meds are pumped into his stomach via a tube attached to the pump) to try and smooth out the on off periods. He only has the pump on during the day. Are there any carers out there who are supporting someone with a pump. Since he had the pump he has become less independent. I have to set it up night and morning because he cannot see it properly and in addition, his dyskensia has got much worse since starting the pump. It comes on early evening and he normally has one Amantadine to try and ease things. However, once the pump is removed at night to go to bed he can lie there some evenings for a good hour or more with severe dyskensia and resulting sweats. We have tried increasing and decreasing the dosage in the day but nothing seems to make a difference. We are lucky in that we have a PD Nurse and I know many do not, but the medical team can only make suggestions and leave it up to us to experiment to see what works. We have tried a couple of ‘pump hoidays’ to see if there is a difference (which there is) but he just becomes very lathargic with decreased mobility. Not sure what is the best thing to do in the long run.

I would be interested to hear from any one with a similar experience. I am having to make all of the decisions now because my husband gets confused (as well as stubbon). At the moment I feel very isolated. Thank you.

Hi JN,
We just wanted to say hi and welcome you to our amazing forum community. You’re sure to hear from others soon who can share their experience with Duodopa pumps, but we also wanted to refer you to this forum thread where it was previously discussed. Please feel welcome to search our website for a wealth of data, including archived forum chats on the subject of your choice. We also have a free and confidential helpline at 0808 800 0303, staffed with highly knowledgeable and supportive advisers who are standing by to help however they can.
We hope you’ll take advantage of these free resources and we happily welcome you to the forum!
Best wishes,
Jason
Moderation Team