DVLA Lisence Issues

Thank you, Edwina. I will call the Helpline on Monday.

I live in a small village with a very limited bus service. I also have to go and look after my 93yr. old father once a week, who lives alone near Whitby, (over an hour away). Our nearest shop is more than 3mls. away and my husband relies on me to ferry him about, as he is ill and doesn't like to drive.

So you can see how this will impact on my life!!!

I know this is going to happen to me one day, but I'm by no means a danger on the roads at the moment.

Best wishes,

Twinks.

Twinks, is there any way you can appeal against the decision?

sue

Hi Sue,

I can re-apply when my doctor confirms I am no longer suffering side effects from meds. and there's no other conditions that could affect my fitness to drive. Seeing as I never suffered side effects and am coming off Ropinirole, (down to 2mg, now), I just don't know what the neurologist has written about me. The reason I'm coming off it, is because I felt better before taking the Ropinirole, every morning. (Maybe that's what the problem is). I was also told I had cataracts in both eyes, just before I had to fill in the form from the DVLA. The Optician said I was OK to drive and passed the relevant tests though. I was totally honest when filling in the renewal form.

I shall be making many phone calls on Monday, believe me!

Fortunately, I already have appointments with my PD nurse and Optician, next week, made before this news arrived.

Thanks for asking, Sue.

Best wishes, from one very unhappy bunny.  x

What a blow

It might be worth telephoning the neuro's secretary and explaining that you have had your driving  licence withdrawn and would like to know what can have been said to the DVLC to to account for this mystifying state of affairs and could you have a copy of his/her report to the DVLC.

Or has perhaps your GP put a spanner in the works?  I have heard of this more than once

Good idea about getting a copy of the report, thanks.

Don't really think my doc. has said anything negative, but will see her on Monday.

Twinks.

Hi Twinks  Good luck in trying to sort out your driving licence,  had mine renewed for another three years just recently, I take ropinirole only and have no side effect to the medication. It might be a good idea to ask your GP and Neuro what they put in their reports to enable you to know why you were refused a DL.

All the best - Sheffy

Thanks Sheffy. I have just sent emails to my neurologist and PD nurse, so hopefully they should see them first thing Monday morning. Going to make an app. to see my GP on Monday, too and show her the letter from the DVLA.   How I'm going to get there, I have yet to work out!!!

I'm determined, that people who just see a snapshot of my life, are not allowed to take away my independence, without good reason!

Pleased to hear that yours was renewed without any hassle, anyway.

Twinks.

DVLA need to give you a driving assessment - they have done that for others - why not everyone?

If they turned you down due to 'side effects of meds' - I wonder what they have based that on? If you don't have any and are at an early stage?

I am sure the Helpline will have some advice to give and good luck with the DVLA when you challenge their decision,

N. Yorks a lovely place to be! I love being there - it was a special place for my Mum and so is now for me! Best fish and chips in Whitby!!

Thanks Keld......ringing the Helpline tomorrow.

And you're right. Whitby has great fish and chips. We always go to 'Trenchers', rather than the much overrated 'Magpie'. N.Yorks is a great county to live in.

Twinks.

I went to the fish and chip shop next to Magpie on someone's recommendation and it was excellent - but can't remember the name of the shop!!

That was the one we went to on a day trip to Whitby,it was really good, but can't remember name of shop either!

Hope you get somewhere with your telephone calls today Twinks, good luck

Sheffy

It was probably called QUAYSIDE........that's a v. good fish n chips place too.

As for the driving issue, I have spoken to the PD Helpline, (most helpful) and also the DVLA and am now waiting for a call from my GP.

I understand I am entitled to see the report from my neuro to the DVLA and that it should have been disclosed to me before being sent off!! Can anyone verify this please?

Not giving up!

Twinks.

Hi Twinks - really sorry to hear of your problems with the DVLA.

I had my license rescinded in September 2014 (DESPITE passing an experienced driver assessment  in the March which I paid for myself in anticipation of them asking me to take one!)

I feel I was always a fairly competent driver and, living in the sticks, was very put out to have it taken away - not least as it made working for myself impossible - and I don't know on what data they based their decision on (apart from that old chestnut of a question "Do you suffer from freezing?" to which I had replied "Yes, but only when walking").  

As I have previously posted, I was eventually offered another assessment at one of their own designated centres but the date I was given was about a week before i was due to have DBS surgery.

I phoned the DVLA to ask their advice and they told me to re-apply six weeks after I'd had my op and that I SHOULD get priority but, actually, when I did re-apply, I was plonked at the back of the queue as they started the whole process over again!

As we live in West Sussex, I originally went to a neurologist in Chichester, but, once I had been referred to the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford (where I had my DBS), all my neurological appointments were based there as well.   I informed the DVLA of this and, sure enough, on 7th November (2015), I received a letter saying that they had sent a questionnaire to my neurologist at the JR and I should allow 6 weeks for a reply.

Knowing that my neuro there was very prompt in replying to anything to do with the DVLA, I rang DVLA as soon as the six weeks was up, only to be told they hadn't received a reply from my neuro yet.

So I rang the JR and was told the questionnaire had ONLY JUST arrived and that it would be dealt with forthwith.

After a couple of days, someone from the JR Neuro Dept phoned me to say that the reply had now been sent.   I waited for another couple of days then rang DVLA and was informed that they had, indeed, received a reply and could therefore go onto the next stage.  I assumed this meant an assessment was being arranged and, when a letter came through from the DVLA a couple of days later, I tore it open with excitement..... only to read that they had sent a questionnaire to my neurologist in Chichester and that I could expect a wait of six weeks for a reply!!!

I couldn't believe it - I was soooo angry!!  I immediately phoned them up and asked what was the point of them sending an enquiry to someone I hadn't seen for about 15 months when they had already got the info back from the JR?  The assistant I spoke to was quite apologetic and promised that she would tell the medical team to move to the next stage!

.....I await with baited breath......!!

Hi Gaz,

So sorry to hear you plight. I did read your previous post, a while ago. Let's hope we both get sorted out soon.

I suspect the DVLA are acting on my last report from my PD nurse, in October, which was quite negative. I've found that in all her reports on me, she interprets what I said in her own style and uses words I never said. It annoys me that these people see a snapshot view of you every so often and can dictate your future to others.

Since that report, I have come off the Ropinirole and feel tons better, so hopefully I can get the hospital to send an update of my condition, ASAP.

I know several people who should not be driving, as they are a danger on the roads. But I'm not one of them!!!

Good luck .

Twinks.

Hi Twinks,

Yeah, good luck to us both!!

I reckon the DVLA are being overly-cautious as a result of that bin-lorry driver's unfortunate incident last Christmas which will only be further compounded by an article in today's Daily Mail concerning "dementia drivers" being an accident waiting to happen (which will probably deem to include Parkinson sufferers due to the general ignorance regarding the disease).

I suppose they find it easier to apply a "blanket ban" than to look into each individual case.

As WE all know, every PD case is different and should be treated as such.

Personally, I am SURE that I'm more than capable of driving and not being a risk to other road-users.  If I had any doubt whatsoever, I wouldn't attempt to get behind the wheel.  I know that my reflexes are good enough because, during my stay in hospital having my DBS procedure, I took part in a neurological trial to see what difference there was between one's reflexes in an "on" and  "off" state.  With me, the two student boffins who presided over my test were pleasantly surprised that there was no difference between my two states - and they even confided that my reflexes were better than most "able-bodied" trialists!!

So, bring on the assessment!!!

i suspect they are waiting for some ruling from above, my father still hasn't got his back from june although he's been cleared too drive by the doctors, he had a letter in october too say it is progressing.

Hi all

Please look at these sites, phone and enquire with them.

They are good and authorised. It late now and i got to go bed. Ill be back on here Wednesday as I have a funeral to attend Tuesday. Take care.  Julie

1.   QUEEN ELIZABETH FOUNDATION FOR THE DISABLED

http://qef.org.uk

Look for driving assessments on this site. I concidering booking an assessment

2. Cardrome Learner Centre

http://www.drivecardrome.com

Driving with Disabilities

Hi Julie

It was the QEF that DVLA put me in touch with to take my assessment (which I had to cancel).

If you wait until the DVLA tell you, they will pay the cost of it.

I am now officially fuming!

Went to see my GP this morning to show her the letter from the DVLA, (refusing to renew my driving licence) and told her I was not happy with the decision. She showed me a letter she had received from my neurologist, which contained a copy of the report he sent to the DVLA. He started off by saying he was sorry I'd lost my licence, but he'd had to report side effects from my meds., which included nystagmus and poor concentration. Also, the fact that I had cataracts. He was taking this information from a report written last October, by my PD nurse! Hardly recent, seeing as my meds, have changed and no side effect issues to report.

Well, I had to go and look up nystagmus, as I had no idea I was suffering from such a condition. Apparently it's rapid, uncontrollable eye movements! Never heard or suffered from it, to my knowledge. So, rang my Optician to see if it was mentioned in her notes about me. The answer was 'No'......so where the hell has that information suddenly come from? (Sorry to swear).

As for the lack of concentration, I have never felt more focused in my life!! I have never suffered from a lack of concentration.......confidence with people, yes, since being diagnosed, but not concentration.

And as for the cataracts, I was only recently diagnosed, by my Optician and we agreed that I would have regular check ups to make adjustments to my prescription glasses. I'm seeing her again on Friday.

The reason I'm so annoyed is because all this could have been avoided if only the neurologist or PD nurse has rung me for more up to date info. on how I was feeling, before sending in such a damning report. The facts are all wrong anyway. I'm not surprised the DVLA refused to grant me a new licence!!

The thing is, what can I do about this, if anything? I'm seeing my PD nurse tomorrow, but don't feel I can rant and rave until she writes a new, more positive report about me. I need this to send to the DVLA when I appeal  for my licence back.

HELP.

Apologies for spelling 'license' wrong, throughout my rant above! And wrote 'has' instead of 'had' near the end.

Can you tell I used to be a teacher????!!

Twinks.