Early-onset Parkinson's at 32

Hi there,

My partner was diagnosed two years ago with early onset Parkinson’s at the age of 32 - he is very active, a pro drummer and DJ.

I was recently inspired by the following post, and wasn’t aware there were others in the UK at a similar age - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05y5gqr

We are both struggling to find someone with early onset under the age of 40; I think it would be helpful to share stories/struggles/strengths not just for my partner but for me as well :slight_smile:

Is anyone out there?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Emily

Wish I could help but too old , diagnosed at 46 .
I am sure someone will reply soon, have you had a quick look at working age pd support groups in your area ? Might be worth contacting the organiser to check on age range attending.

Age is a number and you may find someone as old as 45😊 who has the same interests, challenges they face as your partner who has been newly diagnosed.

The support will be out there xx

1 Like

Hi Emily, I had symptoms from 45 and know a few people with PD in their late 40s/early 50s but not in their 30s unfortunately.

I imagine you have already checked out the resurces listed here:

https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/younger-people-parkinsons

In particular there are support groups listed here;

https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/local-groups-younger-people

You may also want to try contacting Spotlight YOPD.

Finally there are quite a few stories on YouTube if you search for “Young Onset Parkinson’s”.

Hope that helps…

Best of luck!

1 Like

Hi my husband is 41 and was told November he ad PD but his ad the symptoms for 2 years. Maybe we could help each other.

1 Like

Hi there,
As JF says, YouTube has some blogs on relating to young people with Parkinsons. Emma Lawton is some one who helps parkinson’s uk and does a blog.

1 Like

Hi Emily,

Nice to meet you. I’m 29 and have just had a datscan which showed patchy uptake in the left Putamen. I’m seeing the neurologist in 10 days to find out if it is Parkinson’s, which the radiologist has written on the report. I work in comedy so am trying to approach it with a sense of humour, but the anxiety has been pretty bad - the whole thing has been such a curve ball! I think once I know for sure it’ll be easier to start processing the news and working out this new chapter. Would love to know more about you and your partner’s story. All the best

Hi Clax, you are the same age as me! I know when my partner was diagnosed there was a huge sense of relief as you said once you know what it is the anxiety will ease - I sympathesize with you immensley as I to suffer with anxiety disorders and the waiting game is horrendous; but sounds like you have coping mechanisms with your comedy; creativity can heal :slight_smile: are you under the care of the NHS? Look forward to chatting soon. Emily

Hi Dawn, sorry I did reply to this! Don’t think it was posted as it included my email address… yes well up for helping eachother out :slight_smile:

Hi my email is ***** if u would like to chat thanks

(email address edited out by the moderation team)