Editing

Still, we`ve doubled our attendance for the time of day... 8.
Hi,
I am sure once the moderators have considered the unrest and concern amongst forum members on this issue.They will be in touch.I believe in the right to express yourself without fear,freedom of speech.However,understanding at the same time,that if control/monitoring was lost,anarchy would prevail.
In this case,unintentional rule breaking amongst general chat is a difficult area.Lost in conversational flow,a person could forget and think they are one or any number of other chat sites.This oversight of the rules would then be understandable.
Things are not always Black and white
Just another view for what it is worth
All the best
Titan
For Gods sake titan.
WEED< WEED< WEED
go on, knock yourself out

Dear all
The strong feelings in this post reflect how much the forum has become a vital community for people affected by Parkinson’s. That’s important.

While we don’t think it would be right to negotiate moderation action taken with respect to a particular user, we think it is worth pointing out the following:

This is a user-led forum with Parkinson’s UK as the host. As host of a public forum we have legal obligations that we have to stick to in order to make sure that the forum can continue to be here for all. Where there are issues of illegality, we have to take action.

It is rare that users who breach the terms and conditions do so with malice. In many of these cases, the person who has done so has been vulnerable, affected by medication or under the influence of pain or depression. This is always taken into account in moderation decisions. Over the past year there have been fewer suspensions on the forum and for much shorter time periods than in the past. We try to take as light a touch as possible in these situations.

Each and every user agrees that they will follow the terms and conditions of the forum. All users have an obligation to read those terms and conditions and know what they are. Those terms are minimal and most reflect our legal obligation as host. If users disagree with them, they have the alternative of joining other forums that have different terms.

A final note: As important as the forum is for users we hope that everyone will take responsibility to keeping it running well. Moderators cannot be everywhere at once and therefore part of this responsibility is making sure that breaches and inappropriate content is reported. The details of those who report posts will always be kept confidential. Criticising users for reporting posts or attempting to keep them from doing so goes against efforts to create a strong community.

Best regards,
Ezinda

I'm sorry if I'm going against the grain, but despite the risks of straining friendships (including that of the "defendant", whom I love to bits) and being accused of mischief-making, which I'm certainly not, this is my view:

1. The accused clearly broke the Rules, and ignorance of the law is no defence.

2. The accused's post said something like "Does anyone know where I can buy some ****?" I remember seeing it at the time, and thinking it was a bit risky.

3. The accused does have some "previous", i.e. has been warned and suspended in the past.

Despite considerable naivity on the defendant's part, I therefore think the outcome was inevitable, and the moderator had no choice. With not only a breach of the rules to consider, but also (albeit in ignorance) a possible infringement of the law, I think the sentence "handed down" was probably the least they could impose. I've seen much longer suspensions in the past for much more trivial offences.

Sorry!

Ray.
Yes Ray. You are right in every respect. That all however, highlights the last sentence of my post of 9.19 am.

Why then do we wonder how many 'guests' we get compared to posts? Just how many people out there are being denied the opportunity.

I have a nasty taste in my mouth!!!
Forgive me i don't know who was banned, as i did not read the original post.

However having now caught up with events, i feel banning someone from this forum who relies on it, seems somewhat short sighted and rather unnessary. Its also a very English approach to dealing with anything to do with the use or supply of cannabis in treating symptoms of parkinson's disease! Maybe the people responsible for drug policy within the UK need to be the one's "made to stand on the naughty step?" I would like to see PUK put less resource in to banning forum members and more into sorting out the UK's current policy of not legalising cannabis to treat the symptoms of PD? Do you know people suffering from MS can now get prescribed a drug called Sativex. It provides relief to many of the same symptoms that exist in PD as well as MS. What is Sativex, well its cannabis in a spray bottle via the NHS! However PwP don't have access to Sativex, its only available to MS sufferers! Also in a number of other countries you can now legally buy cannabis on prescription if you suffer from parkinson's. In fact its not against the current UK law if you buy it in Holland, then bring it back to the UK to use for relief of your parkinson's symptoms.

Maybe PUK should focus more on sorting out attitudes towards the use and supply of cannabis to PD sufferers here in the UK, rather than banning them from forums?
Oh thank you Blue Eyes. For common sense and humanity!
As far as I am aware ,it remains illegal to consume, use, possess, cultivate, transfer or trade cannabis. I would not advise anybody to import it into he UK or Eire It is an arrestable offence, but usually tolerated
& dealt with by a fine
However the name of the accused is held on aa data base
Stativex is a totally synthetic pharmaceutical product available on prescription only for the relief of spacicity due to MS. It is very difficult to get such a prescription due no doubt to funding issues
How are we notified about posts being edited?
How are we notified about censorship or punishment?

I ask because I seem to have 'lost'stuff.

As the instigator of this post I would like to apologise for any inadvertant connsequences of posting.

For my part it has revealed the fact that the forum will act according to policy, which Ray has usefully pointed out.

However, more interesting have been everyone's thoughts on the whole topic of the possible use of said substance as well as a moral obligation to those members of the froum who form it's backbone.

time to move onwards and upwards.

mrs.t.
You can only bring cannabis into the UK if you are a permanent resident of a country where it is legally prescribed
dear mrs t, I find the idea of having a moral obligation as a result of possessing a backbone rather alarming. I feel I must rest my weary bones & maybe consult a chiropractor
Sativex is a prescription drug which is produced from the cannabis plant, FACT!

If you check out the benefits of taking Sativex; you will find it also helps to relax muscles, reduce ridigty, provides pain relief and helps with sleep problems. As far as I'm aware these are also symptoms PwP also experience?

whilst its illegal to buy cannabis here in the UK, even for medical reasons, its not illegal to go somewhere like California or Holland. Providing you buy it there, but bring it back for use in the UK with proof you have PD. The point i was trying to make was not to suggest we all start breaking the law, but that the law on the use of cannabis within the UK in relation to certian medical conditions, is out of touch with many other countries and a joke! Therefore i was suggesting organisations like PUK should be looking to champion changes to current attitudes regarding the use of cannabis in relation to certain medical conditions? Or maybe its a lot less bother and an easier option just to ban pwp from the forum, rather than help them?

regards
bluey
I am sorry bluey, I meant no offence. I have MS & PD & the subject of Stativex is a raw one with me .Believe me I have thought of a trip to Holland to try to buy pain relief
If the general public were to see PUK advocating cannabis use, even for legitimate symptom relief, PUK's income would drop like a stone.

Look at how the "News Of The World" is being dropped right now.
Hi
can i just refer back to a part sentence by the moderater
"this is a user-led forum" you stand correct but this user-led forum is full of compasssion ,caring, a daily need for pwp.oh and friendship.but i do understand that any forum has to have conditions in place and rules etc,what i think also is that your,re deny excess to this member who needs our help.
take care
janine
Given that Rule 2.1.15 forbids the posting of:

"Messages which contain discussion of any illegal activity .... e.g. illicit drug use [u]including medicinal marijuana[/u]"

and that a member with previous "form" clearly posted a request asking for contact details for acquiring illegal substances, the action taken by the Moderator was unavoidable.

However, back to the original topic, there's no reason why the debate about editing and censhorship can't continue.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/apr/17/gw-pharmaceuticals-justin-gover-cannabis-sativex-multiple-sclerosis

Ray, Do you mean public headlines (link attached) like the Guardian produced back in April 2011? When they referred to Richard Saker the CEO at GW Pharmaceuticals, as the UK's only "legal dope dealer" This was because he launched Sativex here in the UK? At least this sort of headline gets the issue out in the open, rather than sweeping it under the carpet. Lets face it most pain killers and some of the pills used for depression are opium based, in other words heroin!..... should we ban them?

I fully accept debates around legalising cannabis in the treatment of certain conditions like PD is a very difficult subject. However i think the role of PUK is to support all pwp and to fight difficult causes, and head up debates like this even if its going against government policy or public opinion. Rather than just sweeping it under the carpet and banning a vulnerable person with PD from using its forum?

Maybe I'm on my own with this view point, but i think it was wrong to have banned this person from using the forum.
you could pm her with a message of support?
Hi.

What I'm saying is, much as I agree with a lot of the views about substances expressed here, (a) this thread was supposed to be about CENSORSHIP, and (b) whether we like it or not the Rules seem to prevent us from discussing the subject on this forum.

It might be a good idea - if that's what you want - for you to send a formal email request to the Moderators askung permission to create a thread devoted purely to medicinal drug use. That would keep the topic completely discrete from other threads.

Ray.