Editing

Ray, "sink so low" i have not got a clue what your talking about, sink so low to what...???

I don't personally know [name removed] nor have i ever spoken to her! My position is simple, i think it was fundamentally wrong to have banned somebody who is vulnerable and so reliant on the forum. By all means remove the said offending post and even remind people of rules etc, but to punish a vulnerable person in this way is WRONG. My issue with you Ray has nothing to do with anger, its more about a sense of my disappointment by your stance on this issue. But as you quite rightly say everyone is entitled to there own opinion!

best wishes
bluey
Oh God! What have I done?
Don't worry JC you haven't done anything wrong. All you wanted to do was defend our [name removed] and I applaud you. If you had not posted I would not have been aware of what had happened to her (I did not see her post)and would have just assumed that she was away. At least now I can (hopefully) support her by inclusion in the general chatter of the Cafe.
:smile:
is there a right to appeal on behalf of [name removed] to overturn the moderators decision?
jenni please dont worry and i also replied to [name removed],s post that evening!
there has got be something we can do? the anger and strenght of forum members voice should make more than the moderator aware how much hurt we feel.
Well Janine. This debate is looking a lot like a campaign. Are we listened to? That is the question :rolling_eyes:
When all is said and done, we all (?) seem to agree that [name removed]'s treatment has been a tad harsh.
The difficulty with this mode of communication is the neccessity to see each other and hear each other. For debate it is crucial: otherwise people who would normally behave quite affably towards one another, mutually supportive, are maybe misinterpreting sentiments.
I have to admit that the forum is quite daunting to join since like any established social group there are forceful and dominant characters just as there are the silent types who really kick off when provoked.

Mutual support, however, is for me the main function of this valuable space: it is too easy for one of us, on a bad day, to misread and be unnecessarily hurt.
Good grief, on a BAD day I can misread the intention of my cats, malicious bastards.

Surely we are all trying to find some sanity,support and a space to talk?

Have I got it wrong?

mrs.t.
Hasn't this person been banned because another member or members have complained about a post? Haven't moderators got rules to abide by? I've never been banned myself but I did receive an email from a moderator to say that there had been complaints about me, I proved that these complaints weren't justified but never the less it wasn't pleasant to know people you look upon for support and understanding could act this way. I wonder what is stopping "guests" from joining and posting on this forum is it as some think the moderators or is it the members themselves that are off putting?
Hi Janine.

There is no right of appeal, and the moderator's decision is final.

On a couple of occasions members have written directly to the Chief Executive Steve Ford, but as far as I know he has never overturned a moderator's decision.

[email protected]

Regards,

Ray.
Hi Gill,

It doesn't need a complaint to initiate moderator action. Where there's a current thread which is a bit busy and controversial they'll almost certainly be reading every word, and acting as they consider necessary.

However some little thread on the outside involving only a couple of members would probably not be noticed unless a complaint was received.

Take care,

Ray.
Hi Ray,

If I'm correct the member was banned for talking about something illegal in "the cafe", it's not really a thread is it? I find it hard to believe the mods were just browsing at that time.

Just to clarify if anyone is interested, complaints against me were made for having a thought for the day! :rolling_eyes:
Hi again Gill. If you DO want to work out who the grass was, if indeed there was one, you'd need to know when the offending posts were posted, when they were deleted/amended, when such a complaint was logged, when [name removed]was suspended and when various people heard about it all.

I myself was told by [name removed] in an email timed at 14:11 on 6 July.

Obviously the longer the gap between post and alleged complaint, the greater the number of potential "suspects". Of course we don't know who was logged in over that period. In addition non-members who were just browsing (read-only) can still email complaints. What a can of worms!

Good luck in your travails.......

Ray.
Dear all,

It is clear that many people have strong feelings in this debate, and it is a sign of the forum's strength that members support one another in this way.

It is fine for members to discuss moderation actions, but please do not refer by name to the individual in question. This is because it might cause distress to the individual concerned.

In addition, if forum members have concerns over moderation, the best way to raise such concerns and to receive a response is always to email the moderator at: forum [@] parkinsons.org.uk

If members wish to complain about an aspect of the charity, please email: feedback [@] parkinsons.org.uk

It is great that people have very clear views about how the forum works and how it should work. We are still keen for people to get involved in our 'forum advisory panel' - terms & conditions and moderator actions, for example, are precisely the sorts of issues that it would be useful for the panel to consider. Please email the moderator for more information. This sort of support would be much appreciated, and would help us to develop the forum in line with members' concerns.

We will be reviewing the suspension in question to see whether it is proportionate.

Best regards,

Forum moderator
Although everyone knew who the suspended person was, it was me who actually said their name openly.

I apologise unreservedly.

Ray.
No Ray, not really interested who the grass was or if there was one, I just thought that somebody must have complained, I'm not well up on the complaints procedure.
The point I was trying to make was I can understand why people are reluctant to join in this forum when there are arguments, bickering and members complaining about each other.
Hear, Hear Gill, I agree completely. I came on this forum to find help and support. however all there seems to be now is arguments, bullying and certain characters, who, however well meaning, dominate the site.

I do genuinely feel concerned that new people, looking desperately for help, as I was will feel alienated.

Caroline
Hi.

As I spend over 90% of my life in my room, AND sleep badly, I'm in the forum a lot of the time, but I'm not trying to dominate it. That would be difficult anyway, as a simple post like this takes about 20 one-fingered minutes!

I'm certainly passionate about the DA/OCD issue, but that's hardly surprising, and I get bloody annoyed when someone who hasn't a clue tells me I could have avoided all the disasters of the last decade by applying just a little more will power.

Apart from that I'm as soft and cuddly as a bunny! :wink:

Ray.
To both Caroline & Gill,
I have noticed that the poster Annebernadette seems to crop up a lot. I have no wish to dominate & have been reining back. It is so easy to take posts personally, & to lose anothers valuable help based on knowledge & experience
Well that's Domination and Drugs done.

Now back to Editing, Deleting, Censorship and Sanctions..............

Ray, Its not Editing, Deleting, Censorship or Sanctions this forum needs, it a big dollop of common sense being applied when it comes to the way moderators govern it!

Alex, I already given my views directly to senior management on what's needed to improve the forum, both in terms of format and the role of moderators. I don't agree with the need to set up yet another advisory panel. I'm pleased however you are reviewing the suspension and hope the individual in question is reinstated asap.

Sometimes common sense needs to govern the rules and regulations.