Education?

You got diagnosed, your PD progressed, etc. So you 'retired'.

Has anyone done higher education as a hobby, or to feel like you've accomplished something?

If I can't work, I'd like to study. I just don't want to go down as failed or unfulfilled as I feel now.
Hello Parkin Mad, I completed a degree in social science during my early diagnosis years and I must admit it felt pretty good to graduate, knowing that the pd did not put a stop to my ability to learn and achieve.

I would say go for it as it all keeps the mind occupied and there's a lot to be said for that rather than sitting at home dwelling on this dreadful condition.

take care
glenchass
Hello I have done a couple of further education courses which have distracted me from the PD and ,I hope ,exercised my brain. I think it needs exercising as much as your body. So I would say find something you re interested in and go for it.
Best wishes

samdog
Hi

I started a degree in "working with children with special educational needs" just before being diagnosed with Parkinson's.I managed to complete the degree which gave me a real sense of accomplishment.

I'm still working full-time with a few tweaks to my workstation and computer and I am starting a qualification in leadership and management in January.

I know I've been very lucky with my employer who, despite knowing about the Parkinson's gave me a promotion to manage a team of four people. It's hard work and can be stressful at times,particularly when dealing with issues around child protection, but I love it.it gives me a focus and makes me feel useful. The Parkinson's hasn't taken away my ability to do my job, just makes it a little bit more challenging
I work for the education Department, which gives me regular time off work for half terms etc. That really helps, having regular breaks to recharge.

I don't know how long I'm going to be able to continue working but I've now had Parkinson's for about three years, diagnosed for 18 months and intend to continue for as long as I can.

I dread the day when I have to give up work, lose my purpose in life. My children are grown, my husband is out at work so what on earth would I do all day?.

Go for it, keep your mind active. Give your brain a challenge.
About 2 years after diagnosis and 5 years ago, I did an MA in Translation, full-time in one year while, through some clever timetable juggling, continued to work full-time. I got a Merit overall with Distinction in Translation and Interpreting modules.

I had a fantastic time, set myself up for a new career suiting myself as a freelancer and continue to work, so just go for it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

:grin:
Thanks for the feedback. I just want to accomplish something academic. Will come up with something.
Contact the OU they are fantastic.
the OU offers good internet based learning... at a cost .

DRAGON voice recogntion .... is very good as well ... partic if u learn
how to use it properly .

Andy
------