Entrainment

Hi

Has anyone heard about a study at Essex University called entrainment to reduce drug resistant tremor through this technique. A Dr Caterina Cinel is condducting this study.

I haven't been able to find more information but be interesting if anyone knows anymore.

Sugerplum:stuck_out_tongue:
Hi Sugarplum

Thanks for your post, I'm afraid I'm not aware of that particular study at the University of Essex but if you are interested in getting involved in research there are a number of ways you can do so.

We keep a list of Parkinson's research projects around the UK which are looking for participants on our website:
www.parkinsons.org.uk/researchstudies

You can browse the list to find studies in your area. We always recommend that people discuss taking part in research studies with their doctor or nurse.

You may be interested in joining our Research Support Network. You can find out more about the network on our website:
www.parkinsons.org.uk/researchsupportnetwork

If you join the network you will receive frequent emails from us about opportunities to get involved in research - including new studies that need participants, research events and also opportunities to help us in our work.

Best wishes,

Hannah
The research team
Hi Hannah

Thanks for reply, I will have a look at the web pages you recommend. Shame no one seems to have info on the entrainment study, it sounded interesting to me not having to use drugs to control a tremor. Thanks again

Sugerplum :smile:
Are you sure the study is actually called "Entrainment". The Wikipaediea definition explains it is a particular appproach to treatment of various problems using the natural freuquencies of the body (my non-medical paraphrasing) and the following would is from a talk given at Essex but the doctor you mention doesn't not come up
http://dces.essex.ac.uk/research/evostar/speakers.html

Hope this helps you track this down. I don't myself suffer unduly with tremor but it can be very debilitating and I always am on the look out for any useful references to pass on.
I emailed Dr Caterina Cinel and she sent me the following summary of her work with permission to post it here.

Elegant Fowl
------------
In our study we are investigating a technique called audio-visual entrainment to reduce tremor in people with Parkinson's disease.
Very briefly, entrainment is a technique where the brain activity is induced to synchronise at particular frequencies, through a form of visual and/or auditory stimulation (the Wikipedia page "Brainwave entrainment" gives some basic and simple information http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainwave_entrainment which can help you to understand how it works).
The principle is very simple: our brain produces normally neural activity that can be detected through EEG (electroencephalogram). Depending on whether a persons is active, relaxed, half asleep or sleeping, this brain activity (or brainwaves) will have particular features and frequencies: the more a person is relaxed, the slower and the more regular these brainwaves will be. This is something that occurs all the time in our brain. Entrainment is simply a technique that induces the brain to produce regular brainwaves at a particular frequency, exploiting the natural tendency of our brain to synchronise with external, regular stimulation (sounds and/or images).
Entrainment can induce relaxation and has been shown to be effective to treat, for example, stress and headache and some research seems to suggest that it can enhance cognition in particular circumstances.

Here at Essex we have started to investigate whether audio-visual entrainment can help to reduce tremor in PD patients (tremor itself is associated with some particular cortical brain activity). While entrainment is a well known technique and there are many studies that investigate its effects, we are the very first researchers who are studying the effects of entrainment on PD tremor (that's why nothing can be found about it on the internet).
We are at the early stages of our study, and we have just finished testing our first few volunteers, but the results at the moment are positive and encouraging, so we are testing more volunteers and we hope to publish soon our first results.
We have contacted local Parkinson's UK groups to find volunteers to our study and had a good response.
Hope my reply has helped you to understand what we are doing, but do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.
Hi elegantfowl & eileenpatricia

Thanks for info and reply to my post sorry a bit long in replying have had 'lap top problems'. Info sounds very interesting would quite like to volunteer as none of my meds seems to work on the tremor, and I am in Essex. See how things go.

Thanks again

Sugerplum :smile: