Ethnicity & Parkinson's

I have only seen a few people with Parkinson's from South Asian (Pakistan, India, Bangladesh) at Parkinson's UK events. Is this because if you are from a South Asian origin you are less likely to get Parkinson's?
Well, you've never seen me at a ParkinsonsUK event and I've got it !

Seriously though, studies have shown that Europeans are about 13 per 100,000 and Asian incidence of PD is slightly lower at 11 per 100,000 and Hispanics at 16 per 100,000
http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/157/11/1015.full
Hi TK,

That’s an interesting question. The short answer is, we don’t know.

Research studies have been carried out all over the world to estimate how common Parkinson's is in different countries.

The results vary widely. But, because the studies have all been carried out very differently and the populations are so diverse, it's very difficult to say where Parkinson's is most and least common.

The study that Bartobob shared above is from the US, where ‘Asian’ refers not only to South Asians but also to people from the Far East and Southeast Asia.

We’d like to reach out to everyone in the UK living with Parkinson’s and make events like Parkinson’s UK more accessible to all. We’re currently running a project to improve the information and support we offer to South Asians and other under-represented groups. This includes creating relevant information resources and tools to help staff and local groups make sure they are reaching them and meeting their needs.

We hope this helps.

Ezinda