European Parkinson's Therapy Centre

Great news

Iā€™ve booked for two weeks at the end of October.

I hope you dont mind me asking, whats the rough cost all in, flights, hotel, therapy etc

Thanks

I am paying ā‚¬1,632 for a fortnight, which includes ā‚¬507 for full board at a 3* hotel, ā‚¬990 for the therapy and an optional extra of access to the thermal spa, a couple of massages and Reiki treatment for ā‚¬135.

My travel costs are separate, but I wonā€™t list them because I prefer to travel by train and I might make detours to visit friends or do some sightseeing. A return flight to Brescia from Bristol airport with Ryanair is Ā£52.

1 Like

Thanks

I am dismayed that you are having trouble with communicating. The centre is backed by Parkinson UK, European Parkinson Disease association, Cure Parkinsonā€™s trust and operates in 40 countries etc etc. I am a director of the centre (and a 10 year Parky) and apologise. We have never had communication problems. I will personally check but given I have no real name to check againstā€¦ Be assured, we are ready and waiting for you. It is a life changing experience and I am sad for the problem.
Alex
European Parkinson

Hi Jane ,was at the centre in Sept 2016 and am still benefiting . Would love to hear how you got on!

Just wondering how you are doing

Hi Flossie, I posted a thread on the forum on the Centre. You should be able to find it somewhere. My trip there was hugely successful. When I arrived I was on 5 Madopar a day and using a stick to walk. I had almost constant pain in my right hip. When I left I was on 4 Madopar a day and not using a stick.

The main gain was improvement in my walking as a result of the intensive physiotherapy. That improvement has continued. I am continuing to follow the advice on exercise and I am also swimming again.

I also benefitted from the advice on medicine management and diet. Before going to the centre Iā€™d been confused by contradictory advice on whether to eat with pills or take them on an empty stomach. I followed the centreā€™s advice, not just to take my Madopar on an empty stomach, but not to eat an hour before and half an hour after taking a pill. I also followed the advice to avoid protein foods during the day and eat my main protein meal after taking my last tablet of the day. I found that advice reduced the amount of ā€˜offā€™ time during the day.

Five months later I am still following the advice, but recently I have had to go back on 5 Madopar. I am also starting on Pipexus to try to smooth out the effects of the Madopar and reduce my ā€˜offā€™ time, although that is still less than before I started following the Centreā€™s recommended regime.

It was well worth the money for the benefits I gained and Iā€™m thinking of attending again after a year for a refresher.

So glad you enjoyed your visit and found it worthwhile .
When we were there Sept2016 Baz was on Pramipexole 3.1 Er and Azelect 1mg. Heā€™s been on both since March 2011 and they have worked really well.
Only started on Madopar 125 TDS Jan 2018 as he was finding he wasnā€™t walking so well and not sleeping so good. couldnā€™t increase the Pramipexole as on max dose.What a roller coaster itā€™s been.

AFTER 6 months started getting dyskinesia and dystonia .Dosage of Mirapexin reduced to 2.62 with no improvement so Madopar dosage reduced to 125. @ 7am then 62.5 @1pm 4.30 pm and8pm.Disaster he was more off than on!
Brought the 7am dose forward to 8am then 62.5. a@ 12/2.30/5.00/7.30/10pm
This seems to be working very well, the 10pm dose certainly helps him get a better nights sleep.The food thing is paramount .If he fasts the pills work amazing but you canā€™t fast all the time.!
I think you are right about saving the protein for late in the day but itā€™s not always possible, then the pills are less effective.
On the whole though at 71,diagnosed 7 years he is still living life to the full playing tennis 2 hrs twice a week, cycling 50km twice a week,walking 40+ km a week ,skiing,maintaining a 1/4 acre garden,and diy projects.We think we will go back to the centre in the future as it was so motivating .