Explanation needed ---------moderators please

I didn't want ROS banned and I didn't complain.

But you have to admit that his tone was a little brusque that did border on bullying. I know he was tremendously affected by the DA issue but that doesn't give him the right to take such a dismissive tone with the posters who didn't agree with him.

I am not a shrinking violet but even I felt 'guilty' about disagreeing with him.

But Ali, I agree with you. The moderators should tell us the details of why he was banned.

It has been said that justice must not only be done, but be seen to be done.

Moderators.....transparency is important.
I too think it would be a good idea to know what precipitated this decision at this moment and agree that a re-think in the absence of any apparent transgression since he returned could seem to be abitrary to some. However, Ray has shot himself in the foot so many times that apart from feeling sorry for anyone who has cut himself off from a lifeline and from helping people as he undoubtedly has, I for one am glad that I will not have to see the nastiness and bullying and attempts by posters to placate bullying by Ray which has driven me in disgust from the forum in the past.

As for the suspicion that an attempt is being made to suppress talk about the bad effects of D.A.'s please following the links below regarding the PD UK campaign on this issue and also note that the relevant thread is still alive and kicking on the forum home page:

You are here (i.e. PD UK home page)
Home About us Policy and campaigns CampaignRaising awareness of compulsive and impulsive behaviour Raising awareness of compulsive and impulsive behaviour
Reading the terms and conditions of membership to this forum, I can only say I am amazed that it has taken until now for this ban to happen. The rules below were all broken on several occasions :

1 Your registration obligations
1.1 By registering with our forum, you agree
1.1.1 to provide true, accurate, current and complete information about yourself when filling out our registration form
(Since the member in question has been banned several times under different user names this rule must have been broken with each re-registration.)

1.1.4 to act in accordance with user guidelines and keep all messages tasteful, civil and relevant

1.1.5 to maintain respect for other people on the forum, including moderators

1.1.6 to use only one account to access these message boards. We will suspend users who create multiple accounts.
(Comment as for rule 1.1.1)

2 Online conduct
2.1 You agree that you will not use the discussion forum to:

2.1.1 attack others

2.1.2 make inflammatory remarks

AND for the rest of us:
9 Sanctions

9.10 You acknowledge that our decision to remove or ban an individual from using the forum is binding and the decision final.

Whether we agree with the rules is immaterial - by being a part of this forum we are bound by them and contravene them at our peril.
This may not be a popular view but I was quite relieved to hear that the ban had been made.
I, and others have given up posting for fear of derogatory and just plain rude responses to perfectly innocent comments.

This forum should be warm, friendly and supportive and it has been anything but that recently.
Perhaps now, new people looking for help and support, will stay and benefit from the advice and support of so many of the lovely people who have the knowledge,experience, generosity and kind hearts needed to provide it.

Caroline
moodyblue with good intentions,im not havin ago,yes the rules state good terms and conditons,but end of day ,i started this thread cus me and other members of this forum and ray him slef wonted to no WHY he has bin banned,ray may of broke someof the rules before in the past,but so have other people includin meself,its not hard to do to be honest,it like tradin on blinkin egg shells for god sake.but me point is he was suspended then he was brought back agin ,neally 3 weeks on ,and him bein a good bloke ,kept his promise ,he has been banned with no good reason .now if this was ur self,or any other member ,you would wont to no why this had happined wouldnt you.and so far the moderators have STILL not givern a answer to WHY,its a simple thing to answer ,and im gettin pigged off with askin the same piggin thing all the time,but hey ho ,i will till we have a answer.WHY WAS RAY BANNED FOR LIFE AFTER BEIN BROUGHT BACK ON THE FORUM ,3 WEEKS LATER THIS DECISON MADE AGINST HIM ,WITH NO BROKEN RULES BROKE.simples .com lol sorry had to say that :laughing:
When we join this forum we agree to abide by the terms and conditions and to follow the user guidelines. Quite rightly the moderators are vigilant in taking note of, considering and taking such action as they feel appropriate if there are any transgressions.
As members we have the opportunity, indeed are encouraged, to report any posts which make us feel uncomfortable, worried or upset.
I should like it noted that the following posts have made me feel uncomfortable, worried and upset:
Tim's post of 21 Oct 09.54
Luis' post of 21 Oct 17.47

1) Tim states that Ray of Sunshine's posts are aggressive and bullying. You may argue that Ray of Sunshine is not specifically mentioned by name, however the implication is so obvious it cannot be mistaken.
A simple "transgressed the agreement to follow the user guidelines" would have sufficed. This forum is not, or at least should not be, a place for name calling or character assassination.
2)Tim says that the forum is moving into a new phase and would like to attract new members, What has this got to do with banning Ray of Sunshine? Is there a cull in process? Is the forum to be homogeneous? Who decides which members are acceptable? A forum lacking in diversity is unlikely to be stimulating
If Ray of Sunshine has broken an agreement, action should be considered. Ray of Sunshine should not be banned on the premis that he might intimidate new members. You cannot predict how any , as yet non-existant ,new member may react.
3) Luis, whilst not mentioning Ray of Sunshine by name, suggests that his posts are "not helpful in creating a welcoming and supportive community" and goes on to quote some member comments, again none of which mention Ray of Sunshine by name. Following his last suspension, Ray of Sunshine returned to the forum with a "clean slate"
Please give an example of a posting by Ray of Sunshine made since his last suspension which is threatening, mocking, rude, derogatory, close to bullying. I think we are all adult enough to recognise light-hearted banter when we see it,however misguided.
4) Luis states that the member comments he quotes are not always or just about Ray of Sunshine, Why then include them in a post relating to the banning of Ray of Sunshine from the forum?

I am obviously and rightly not privy to moderators deliberations, but I should be grateful for clear answers to the following:
1) is Ray of Sunshine being "singled out" for exclusion? I am very much afraid that, however much I am disinclined to believe this, it appears to be the case.
2) if not, please can you assure this member that some form of action has and will be taken in response to members concerns other than those relating to Ray of Sunshine

Thank you
THIS IS A EMAIL THAT RAY HAS RECIVED TO NITE:smile:
iam ritin to you to become a parkinsons uk national ambassodor for impulsive and compulsive behaviour,to bring a voice to people affeected by pd directly to heart of goverment.we will surport you with devolopin key messages and help you prepare for meetins,and will be along side you at all times.meetins with pharaceutical industry policticians and servants.NOW DOES THAT NOT TELL YOU THAT RAY HAS VOICED HIS OPION CORRECTLY AND HAS MADE PEOPLE SEE HE IS A GOOD BLOKE,and now he has ben thrown off the world wide forum for pduk,but on other hand is wonted,by so many
I feel saddened that RoS has been given a life time ban from the forum . I believe he has been punished because of his strong views on a subject that he is passionate about DAs/OCDs, and has made pwp aware of the devastating effect these drugs can have on individuals. (Ray himself being a victim.) His knowledge on this subject will be a loss to any of the newbies and a loss to this forum.

I also feel sad that some members have found the forum a less than friendly place recently. I for one have found the forum a warm and friendly place full of very caring people , who give support, help and excellent advice.
Golden Girl,
I only add this since you ask, I believe Ray's main motivation was to have total domination of the forum. To this end he attacked and baited anyone he saw as a threat to his dominant position and built up a following of fans who would support him no matter how outrageous his behaviour. Titan was only the last in a long series of what he saw as rivals. It has nothing to do with OCD and everything to do with megalomania, control and above all a deep, if understandable anger that came to the surface with increasing regularity, intensity and irrationality.
Several times Ray has nearly destroyed this forum and it is best if he is not involved any longer.I don't deny Ray has done good,but he has also done a great deal of harm, particularly to those denied a safe forum.
I totally agree with AB's cogent, well thought out and persuasive arguments. Who if anyone watches what the moderators write and comments or controls them? It is disgusting to ban anyone for expressing a strong opinion on any subject so long as it is legal. We have STILL not had a reason for ROS being banned other than vague innuendoes. If others have transgressed as suggested, have they also been banned and who are they?
Hi Everyone,
Well here goes.I understand the moderators concerns and realise that it is a difficult job policing the forum.Keeping order whilst at the same time allowing for a freedom of expression,creativity and debate.In order for the forum to function as a useful informative place without descending into chaos,it has on occasions been deemed appropriate/necessary to suspend certain members for varying lengths of time.
Many may remember a period not so long ago were the DA thread reached levels of debate and uproar that were at times unprecedented.At the heart of it Two distinct camps existed and a large grey area resembling a battlefield in the middle.I remember many an exchange of views with ROS,being on the receiving end of many verbal assaults,he undoubtedly if able,would say the same of myself.I don,t think of those times as bad or uncomfortable.I think of them as positives out of negatives,a vast conundrum of viewpoints.The whole atmosphere buzzed with debate.
There are people who think ROS has taken things to far,has only himself to blame.There are those who need him in their lives,miss him when he has been placed in isolation.
How do i feel.This may surprise many.I think from an individuals rights perspective.ROS is suffering from a condition and taking medication(in large quantities)which have a tremendous and critical impact on a persons behaviour and physical being.Personally,and having been on the receiving end of some of ROS's most famous assaults,i will miss him.He brings an edge to the forum and love him or hate him,he speaks from his heart.He has sent me E-mails in the past,a couple of which were apologetic.Things said in the heat of important issues debated which were close to his heart.
I am saddened it has come to this.I was looking forward to deep discussions and yes debate on here,especially with ROS.Having been through some interesting times in recent months with many thoughts and conclusions drawn and coming out of the end of seems like some strange journey.Just as i am penning some drafts concerning certain matters,this happens.
It is only my opinion,but i don,t think any member should have a lifetime ban.There has been no murder committed.People who get life,get released and don,t serve the full sentence.I believe in freedom of speech and feel that it is a shame that someone with so much to offer,who is important to so many people,should end up having this sentence imposed on them.
I feel that more than most,ROS needs this forum,it is his outlet from the imprisonment from the confines of pd isolation.Many may disagree and say ROS has got his just deserts.I feel different,i feel for the person banished from something he needs and feels passionate about,he has been a great help to many as well as the outspoken flip side.
To be honest,i also am at a loss to find anything recent ROS did wrong.
Well that's my thoughts for now
and as usual
i have the right to my opinion(memories of quarrels long forgotten)
Take care
Titan
Well well well:fearful:what a debate! a bit like the one about D.A/O.C.D's a while ago that well basically made me glance at it a few times but became way to complex a discussion for me to want to bother with. I'm guessing that for this reason the moderators are right in wanting to call time on these threads. On the other hand without the passion R.O.S has put into these threads i think P.W.P particularly the newbies like me out there would still be in the dark about this subject. I am appalled by the suggestion that forum members 'need' R.O.S in their lives, No we don't, we choose to speak to him freely is that's what we choose to do just like those that CHOSE to keep controversial debates running!! If you didn't like it then why not stop? Keep your'e argumentative opinions to yourselves unless of course YOU want to be top dog on this forum?? I suggest that if anyone has R.O.S home e-mail that we somehow pass it on to each other so that he can communicte with us still and not become isolated. SHAME on anybody that feels justification for R.O.S having a ban. This was his lifeline, a way of feeling part of an unkown but somehow a familiar family. He gave me knowledge and for this i am gratefull. May a Ray Of Sunshine glow over you on your black cloudy days!

Diane
titan if anyone had cause to celebrate ROS life time ban, it was you! Because many times you were on the receiving end of his outbursts! Yet you post is brilliant in its balanced and considered reflection of what a life ban really means to someone suffering from imprisoned parkinsons. Well done titan i applaud your posting,and its nice to see the wise old titan is back.

At times ROS is guilty of the allegations laid at his door by moderators. However to just ban someone FOR LIFE for these misgivings is wrong! I feel sure ROS himself would be the first to admit at times his actions are unacceptable. However is banning ROS for life really going to make this forum a more welcome place to visit? I don't think so,the comments so far on this thread have only served to divide and turn forum members against each other and against the moderators!

Its very sad that a thread debating the banning of someone suffering from parkinsons has in the space of a few hours totally eclipsed a thread discussing the recent Event in Stratford upon Avon called "moving forward together". Maybe it should of been called moving forward but not together?

bluey
Well there seems to have several attempts to explain why he was bannned. None of them really saying anythng.

They seem to suggest that he has broken the rules again.

(I was printing out his last posts, to frame and hang beside my picture of Che Guevara).

I couldn't find a car model called a Berkeley (after 2 pages of google) and I'm a bit dubeous of tintin being a name or than of a fictional character, so I guess I fond that annoying.

The welsh cop it in his final posting. (although this list is wrong - the last entry is never showen.)

The final posting is listed as :
Forum: Social club
Topic: Any linguists?

But there is one after this, does anyone know where this posting is.

I don't mean to get all dramatic but I feel something died in this forum.

Also I said I would help with this new forum thing. I'd like to withdraw that offer of help.
Hi all,
You can see the time -- I cannot sleep.
I used to often be like this and a year ago , I'd be pleased to stagger on to the forum and be glad to find a bit of company. R of S being one of the 'playmates' I'd find there.
I'm so grateful that he and others were there to help me through a difficult and lonely time.
Like Titan, I too was often a target for his derision. There were areas, of course we'd not have a modicum of agreement over. There'd be some fizz and feathers , and then , later, putting these differences aside, we'd be back having fun on the word games.
What a great pity the ban has happened.
As others have said, no one has died, no capital offence has occurred. The punishment is too severe.
We are all a little or in some cases, a lot, damaged by this hateful condition and side effects from drugs. I think compassion should be extended to all.
I look to see who's signed in at this God forsaken hour -- no one. R of S, you are sadly missed.
Hi Eck I think one of your printouts hanging next to Che will have the wrong name on it that is if you want RoS in the frame. The answer Berkely given in A-Z of Auomobiles was actually given by Radar47. I have also googled this and found the named vehicle under http://www.pearsy.co.uk so Radar was quite correct and not, as you seem to suggest RoS wrong

As to the name Tintin, this is a perfectly legitimate name for a boy (not my choice I must admit) but it is mainly found in the US, somewhere we actually visit having family out there, and have come across the name. No he wasn't a cartoon cutout either. Hope this clears up a couple of your concerns.

By the by you can pick up the name if you look under http://www.babycenter.com/baby-names-tintin 509665 It is an American site
Sorry forgot to say that like Eck I have been asked to help out with format of the new website by taking part in surveys. I'm sorry but I would prefer not to take any further part in this if it is not going to be a fully inclusive (rather than exclusive) site.

Please Moderators would you note this and pass on to the appropriate person
SO PLEASE MODERATORS,u may of made ur decision about ray between your selfs,but did you once ever come on the forum and open a thread and ask your members thereopion about it,dont get me rong i no its ur forum,but its us that keeps it goin ,day and nite for you.dont we have a say no more,or have we ever had a say more like it?iam not a person to fite my corner at all,but like i said stratford made me relize ive got a voice,and may be you dont like my voice,but are you goin to turn your back on all your members.ino you say new members dont wont to come and see ray,but how do you no? have you asked erm? NO, a life ban for speakin his opion,you get less for murder,wot is goin to happin next bring back hangin? like i said before i only started this thread to ask WHY and like we are sayin we have still not got that answer,it is like your keepin away from it,pushin it under the carpet,cus you must see by the response of members on her we wont ray ,we need ray .there is less than a handful of people who dont ,unless you can proove that ray has done bad since he was brought back from suspension 3 weeks ago ,please reconsider.i had a think bout this all last nite,cus to be honest it has made me feel poorly about this,even startin it,but i felt i had to find out WHY and speak for others as well.i had recived many emails from people askin me wot has happined to ray ,and when i replied your answer well,you can guess the reply.so they have come to speak for them selfs.i feel like this thread may be deleated ,or you hope it will just go cus we carnt keep askin,may be yes,i admit iam strugglin here ,and so is others ,do you think this is doin our health any good,added stress .NO,AND WOT BOUT POOR RAY,HE HAS TRYED TO CONTACT YOU CUS HE WAS TOLD IF HE COULD NOT GO ON FORUM YOU WOULD BE THERE FOR HIM ,HIS EMAILIS BEIN TREATED AS JUNK MAIL,sorry i forgot to turn off caps and fingers to stiff to do agin .i need to stop,just relize please this is effectin your members ,there pd.
I might as well post the entire letter that Ali refers to.
Can anyone believe that the PDUK sent this to Ray?
" we believe your perspective..."
It beggars belief that a man banned for life from the forum because his passionate belief in the fight for justice for those of DA damaged patients frightens some can then be approached because he is the best man for the job in taking on the government and pharmaceutical industry!
Please PDUK, look at the numbers of people supporting Ray's return and the handful wanting him banned.
Let him back.
You have made your point...that you have the power.

----- Forwarded Message -----
To: Sachin Shah
Sent: Friday, 21 October 2011, 16:16
Subject: Parkinson's UK- National ambassadors

Hi
I am writing to invite you to become a Parkinson’s UK national ambassador for impulsive and compulsive behaviours. This is someone who can help in the national campaigning work of Parkinson’s UK and bring the voice of people affected by Parkinson’s directly to heart of government. You have been chosen because you attended or showed your interest in the day we held on impulsive and compulsive behaviours earlier this year.
In this role we will ask you to join us in attending meetings with pharmaceutical industry, MPs or to speak at political events. We believe your perspective as a person affected by Parkinson’s will have the most impact on the pharmaceutical industry politicians and civil servants. We’ll support you with developing key messages and help you to prepare for meetings and we will be along side you at all times.
If you are willing to become a national ambassador we’re planning training to support you in this role.
The training will take a half day on 4 November 2011
We plan to start with lunch and then carry on to about 4pm. The training day will take place in London at The Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Fund, The County Hall, Westminster Bridge Road
London, SE1 7PB
It would be great if you can join us. We’ll reimburse you for any expenses. Please let me know if you are interested is coming.
Sachin Shah
Campaigns Officer
Parkinson's UK, 215 Vauxhall Bridge Rd, London SW1V 1EJ
Tel: 020 7963 9332 Email: [email protected]
Web: parkinsons.org.uk Facebook: www.facebook.com/parkinsonsuk Twitter: www.twitter.com/parkinsonsuk
Parkinson's UK is proud to be Charity Times' Charity of the Year 2011
Congratulations and thank you to everyone who is involved in the charity
Find out more at parkinsons.org.uk/news
We're the Parkinson's support and research charity. Help us find a cure and improve life for everyone affected by Parkinson's. Parkinson's UK is the operating name of the Parkinson's Disease Society of the United Kingdom. A company limited by guarantee. Registered in England and Wales (948776). Registered office: 215 Vauxhall Bridge Road, Victoria, London, SW1V 1EJ. A charity registered in England and Wales (258197) and in Scotland (SC037554).
hi ali,

I'm very concerned if what your saying is true? Can ask ROS to email me directly with any evidence that parkinson's UK are ignoring his pleas or treating his emails as junk mail!

I feel this whole forum banning episode has been poorly handled. If the moderators main purpose in banning ROS for life, was to make the forum a more welcoming and safer inviroment for pwp.....then it has failed!

It feels like recent efforts to reach out and involve pwp in how the forum is run has also back fired on them? Certainly that appears to be the case, judging by the fact some forum members have now asked their names be withdrawn from the forum discussion group!

Sad very sad.

bluey