Extreme fatigue

Hello,
I was diagnosed with PD 2.5 years ago, up until a couple of months ago I have been relatively ok, my only visible symptoms are a slight limp and an occasional tremor in my right arm/hand when resting. I take Synemet plus 25/100 4 times a day and I modified release tablet before bed. I do suffer with constipation but a sachet of Movicol/Laxido usually works. lately I am still working as a painter and decorator but have had to cut down on what I take on now and usually work 3/4 days per week, I realise that at 59 and with my condition this is not the ideal profession for me but when i’m ok I enjoy it.
However lately I am getting extremely tired especially in the afternoon, and in the evening all I can do is sit in a chair. I do sleep usually uninterrupted for 7-8 hours a night but am not waking re-freshed.
Is this a symptom of my condition? am I expecting too much to do such a physical job? I have been able to work ok previous to the last couple of months.
Thanks M

Hi decor8,

Up to half of people with Parkinson’s say they experience fatigue, so it could very well be related to your condition. You can read more about fatigue in Parkinson’s here: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/fatigue

We also have lots of information and advice on working with Parkinson’s on our website, which you can find here: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/work-and-parkinsons

Please also feel free to contact our Helpline as they’ll be able to advise you on the above in greater detail. You can reach them via email at [email protected], or call free on 0808 800 0303. Lines are open Monday to Friday from 9am to 7pm, and on Saturday from 10am-2pm.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Owen,
Moderation Team

Hi decor8, I could no way do your job as one of my symptoms is I cannot even climb steps. The other day I had to stand on the bed to get something off the top of the wardrobe and when I got down I felt like I had been on a roller coaster and it took me about 15 mins to feel ok again. I have been diagnosed 18 months.