Falls risk at home or care home

Hello everyone, I’m new to the forum.

My mother who is 76 has Parkinsons and more recently Parkinson’s dementia. Prior to the pandemic she had carers visit 4 times a day, but during the pandemic I moved in and took over as her dementia worsened out of the blue and also she kept having delerium flare ups.

Falling has been a big problem and the trouble is, when she doesn’t have symptoms she can move about fine, as she is very fit otherwise but her balance is terrible and is in danger of having a high energy fall at any time, lunging backwards etc.

We tried a live-in carer twice recently, but both had trouble having to shadow her everywhere because of her poor balance, and it was quite draining for them as it has been me.

We have got to the stage where we feel a nursing home is the way forward. But I’m worried she will be at more risk in a nursing home. All the tables and desk etc and the fact she can have so much energy, that when she does fall I’m worried about her head. For example in a nursing home, she could be lying in bed immobile and then suddenly has a burst of energy, and with no-one there in her room, I fear the worst.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge about how this particular situation may be handled in a nursing home please? It almost feels like it would be a much more dangerous place. Two live in carers at home would be ideal, but too costly.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

George

Hi @George79, :wave:

A warm welcome to the forum. :slightly_smiling_face:

For many people, making a decision to put a loved one in a care home is a very difficult one so your reservations about this are completely understandable. :blue_heart:

However, a care home will offer more personal care for your mother. As Parkinson’s symptoms progress and her needs increase, a move to a care home may be a necessary consideration.

Care homes are staffed 24 hours a day and meals are provided. Some care homes provide nursing care too, which will provide extra support for medical needs. Some will also provide activities. There are also some care homes that have experience of dealing with specific conditions, including dementia. Some homes may already have residents with Parkinson’s, but some carers may not have experience of looking after someone with the condition. For more information on the types of care homes available to your mother, please visit our website here: Home care and care homes | Parkinson's UK

You can speak to others at your Parkinson’s UK local group for more advice on care homes and their own experiences with them. Lastly, we have an incredible team of advisers via our helpline team that would love to provide you with more help and support on your current situation, so do give us a call on 0808 800 0303.

Best wishes,
Reah
Forum Community Manager