Father, early onset of PD

Good Morning all.

I’m new to the group so I hope I’m in the right bit!

My Dad has not long been diagnosed. He has a tremor in his right arm but now it has started in his left arm and his chin. Obviously as a family we are really upset but staying positive for him. Secretly I’m heart broken even though I know things could always be worse.

I was wondering if anyone could recomend any particular foods or supplements that may help him physically and with his mental health aside from what the consultant has prescribed. We’ve read about C B D oil and certain a probiotic.

Any help greatly recieved and thank you in advance.

Lots of love to all out there x

Hi LouLou,

Very sorry to hear about your dad’s condition worsening. We have lots of information and advice for carers and families on our website, which you might find useful:

https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/caring-someone-parkinsons

We also have plenty of information about diet and Parkinson’s:

Please remember, you can always contact our Helpline with any queries, too. They’re professionally trained and able to offer advice on a wide variety of issues affecting Parkinson’s patients and their families. You can reach them via email at [email protected], or call free on 0808 800 0303. Lines are open Monday to Friday from 9am to 7pm, and on Saturday from 10am-2pm.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Owen,
Moderation Team

Hi Loulou,

I connected very much to your post. My Father is 64 and got his diagnosis 10 days ago after months of an arm tremor.

He has always been the person to turn to and I am so sad for his potential future.

I am also feeling very guilty as I believed his tremor was to do with his alcohol intake (which was too high). He did 4 weeks of private rehab and he and I were so upset when the tremor continued…now we know why.

He has anxiety which he never used to have - again I thought it was the drink but it was the Parkinson’s.

I wish I had known about this illness rather then get so annoyed and upset with his delayed responses, anxious behaviour and simply blaming drink. When he had his initial consultant visit the Dr said he has had PD for a good few years.

Feeling very guilty.