Fatigue & Sleeping Pills

Good morning everyone. I have Atypical Parkinson’s & Neuropathy. I have extreme fatigue & problems with mobility. I have nightmares & struggle to get to sleep & struggle to get out of bed. A lot of the medication I take like Sinemet [side effects problems sleeping & nightmares], Amitriptyline [side effects sleepy & tiredness], Ramipril, Bisoprolol [side effects sleeping & nightmares] & Apixaban [side effect tiredness] … most list tiredness & fatigue as likely side effects as well as NIGHTMARES.

This past week has been very bad on the sleep front with terrible extreme nightmares. The sort of nightmares you can’t really talk about.

I mentioned this to my GP who said I should talk to my Parkinson’s Nurse, So yesterday I emailed my Parkinson’s nurse who said I should talk to my GP. Anyone experienced that before ?

From my PN yesterday “Hi Steve, Sounds like things are a little rough for you. Re the nightmares/vivid dreams – these are a common phenomenon in Parkinson’s, and can sometimes be exacerbated by Sinemet. Sinemet, Amitriptyline and Ramipril can all me you feel dizzy/lightheaded as they can lower blood pressure, as can Bisoprolol. What time do you take your last sinemet dose? If it is late at night, perhaps move it to earlier in the evening”.

From me … I had another terrible night last night. I had my last Sinemet at 5pm. My Amitriptyline & Apixaban at 6pm. I was tired so I went to bed at 8.30pm. I woke at 10.45pm, 12.15am, 2.30am, 5.15am & got up at 6am. A number of extreme nightmares. I have felt tired all day today. Life isn’t worth living if I continue to feel like I have this past 3-4 days.

From my PM … Ok, I will contact your GP to see if he/she will give you a low dose Quetiapine 12.5mg at night to see if that helps. It is up to them, but they obviously have no better option. It may take a week or two for them to action, as we have an admin shortage, but bear with me. Kind regards.

Last night I remembered I had been in hospital in October 2023 & they had given me 14 x 3.75mg Zopiclone sleeping pills & told me to only take them if I really needed to. So I took 1 pill at 10.30pm & woke a 6.30am. My bed under-sheet looked as it did when I got into bed & my heavy duvet which is normally half on the floor was even on top of my bed. I feel so refreshed & no nightmares.

It really annoys me that my GP will not prescribe sleeping pills … Surely Quetiapine is a more risky option.

Quetiapine is used to treat certain mental/mood disorders (such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, sudden episodes of mania or depression associated with bipolar disorder). Drugs used to treat depression can help prevent suicidal thoughts/attempts and provide other important benefits.

Thoughts anyone ? Apologies for rambling on.

Best wishes
Steve2

Last night I took my second sleeping pill. I had a perfect night’s sleep with no nightmares. What a simple solution to my problems.

Talking of problems … In October 2023 I spent a night in hospital suffering from an Atrial Fibrillation. My heart was racing & the beats were erratic in the extreme. I was given beta blockers & blood thinners which worked perfectly & my heart beat was restored to better than normal. My current rate in 60 beats per minute.

Since this A Fib episode I had a 24 hour ECG monitor on me last week & yesterday I went to the local diagnostic center & had an ultra sound of my heart. It took 30 minutes. The technician doing the examination, an ex Army doctor nearing my age told me that my heart valves were “leaky”. He also asked if I had an appointment lined up to see a Cardio Consultant. I said I did not. He said he’d do his report & I’d get an appointment with a cardiologist in around 6 weeks time.

I also had a text from my GP wanting to see me tomorrow at 4pm. I assume to discuss sleeping pills.

Does anyone else here have leaky heart valves? If so I’d be interested to hear from you.

Best wishes
Steve2