Feeling of tight skin

Hello, my mum has recently been diagnosed with Parkinson’s and heart failure. I am her full time carer and I’m finding it very difficult to distinguish between her Parkinson’s and heart failure symptoms. This morning she has started to feel a tightness in her skin which is felt in her groin, throat, back and ribs.She describes it like wearing a tight belt. Some massage helped the back and ribs. Can anyone advise if this is a common Parkinson’s symptom? Thank you for any assistance you can offer. Neil.

Hi @NeilJ,

A warm welcome to the forum.

I’m so sorry to hear about what your mum has been going through - I’m sure this must be difficult for you both. Given that your mum has experienced heart failure, it is hard to determine whether the symptoms that you’ve described are related to Parkinson’s. However, it is not uncommon for people with Parkinson’s to have problems with their skin and how much or how little they sweat. We have more information on this via our website that you may find helpful here: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/skin-and-sweating-problems

I would advise that you speak to a healthcare professional about this so they can investigate what may be the cause of her skin issue. In the meantime, you can speak to an adviser via our helpline service who’d be more than happy to offer you more support on this. Please give us a call on 0808 800 0303.

Best wishes,
Reah
Forum Community Manager