Fighting Fit weekend for Parkies

I recently attended the Fighting Fit weekend in Cookham. https://fighting-fit.org.uk/home/

The course gets people with Parkinson’s of working age together (and partners if they wish). The aim is to meet people, exchange ideas and strategies, try different forms of exercise and increase motivation and positivity. Best suited for those diagnosed in the last 5 years.

There were 20 participants and as well as meet and chat together we discussed self help, listened to talks on the importance of exercise, PD research, skills and strategies for everyday life, psychological well-being, and a talk from a senior PD nurse. We also did a dancing class, a PD Power high intensity exercise class, a taster of Tai Chi, a singing session, a quiz, a watercolour painting workshop and a yoga session amongst other things.

I really enjoyed it and got a lot out of it. Some of the talks were real eye openers for me and I loved having a go at some of the more unusual activities. It was also very interesting meeting other Parkies of a similar age and discovering similarities and differences between us. The big takeaway for me was that I am not doing enough intensive exercise so I am changing that now.

The weekend was based in a beautiful and peaceful location and was superbly organised and run - by volunteers…this is a non-profit making initiative supported by Parkinson’s UK.

If you get the chance…do yourself a favour and GO!

1 Like

I too attended this weekend and can 101% recommend it! We learnt so much and returned home with a much clearer picture of PD. If anyone has any doubts about booking the next session I can assure you that you wont regret it!

Great idea that should my husband fit the criteria (working age- not sure what that is as he worked till he was 74) would love to attend. He is now a full time wheelchair user unable to stand nor walk but would still love to attend anything like this. Our local leisure centre run by Everyone Active has just announced free membership for Parkinson’s suffers and their caters. He has a gym induction booked next week. Looking forward to seeing if they have recognised systems for wheelchair users. My husband was a very active gym member prior to Sepsis taking him off his feet and 16 or 17 (can’t even remember exact number now) of orthopeadic operations. Will be interesting to see what he can achieve now.