Foam bed guards

Good morning, I was wondering if anyone finds a foam bed guard any use? My husband has had far too many falls (more like rolling) off the bed. As he is then unable to get up from the floor we have to call paramedics. I’m trying to think of ways to minimise this. He has to get up to go to the loo several times most nights so not sure if this guard would impede him getting in and out of the bed. He does have a grab rail but it’s not very long, and more an aid to pull himself in and out of the bed rather than preventing him from rolling on to the floor. Any tips or advice would be most welcome as this issue is causing me a great deal of stress at night. Thanks, Jean

1 Like

Hello Jean1
A quick question when your husband rolls off the mattress/falls out of bed, does this happen most commonly when he is asleep or when he is trying to get up to go to the toilet and likely to be a bit sleepy?
Tot

Hello Tot, it can be a bit of both really! He has for the past year or so been finding it increasingly difficult to get in and out of bed. On the last occasion,which was only last week, he seemed to have just rolled off the bed in the early hours of the morning so presumably he’d have been asleep or still very drowsy. He has always had vivid dreams in which he literally acts out whatever it is he is dreaming about. We are waiting for another home assessment by Occupational Health for the bed and other issues around the home to reduce any further risks, but I’ve been searching online and saw the foam bed guard. I will of course ask the OT about it when she visits. Best wishes, Jean

Hello Jean1
Thank you for your reply, which is pretty much what I expected you to say and as you will probably expect me to say, is that there are no easy answers to what is quite a common problem.
The short answer is that there is no bad equipment if it works for you and that’s the problem guards will suit some people and not others, some will get on with them and others won’t. It is good to discuss this as you intend to do but I will just make a few general comments that you may like to consider or perhaps add to your discussion in due course. I am assuming from the way you’ve written that your husband has not sustained any injuries from his falls.
First you are quite right, guards can create an obstacle to getting in and out of bed. This is not necessarily a problem if he has no urgency to pee meaning he has to get to the wc quickly. However if he is only half awake it can become quite a big obstacle because he likely won’t be concentrating or seeing what he is doing properly. For some bed guards of any description may minimise the risk of falling out of bed but actually increases the risk of safely getting on and off the bed.
Second bed guards can reduce the width of the bed which may be a significant factor if your husband is a large man.
Neither of these things will solve your immediate question but maybe there is another way to look at it.
One option that helps and I have seen used successfully several times but it is not a cheap option is to get a low profiling bed. These beds can go as low as 10” to the floor so there is not so far to fall and less risk of injury. It is also low enough that he may be able to manoeuvre himself to sit on the edge of the bed and get back into bed. Ideally you would get one that raises up and down so it can be adjusted as he needs and also to help with bed making etc.
For example he would sleep with it low so if he falls out of ben he can manage to sit on the edge of the bed but then raise the bed to help him use his legs to move on to the bed properly should he need too - this may not be so easy if he is low down.
Assuming your husband is not hurt there are several ways to get up from the floor and there are several videos on youtube that show you exactly what to do. They mostly involve creating two or three steps so your husband would get up in stages. This may eliminate the need to call for assistance and minimise the delay in getting back into bed.
Although it may be too warm in the summer months some people find using flannelette bedding gives a slight grip that can help with not falling out of bed. This is not a strong option but it is something to consider it msy slow the movement down a little giving time for your husband to react. Many do not find the bedding makes much difference but it might be worth a try.
One very important point that you probably already do is keep your husband’s side of the bed clear so that the risk of injury by hitting something on the way back is reduced.
Doing exercises that concentrate on core strength and balance may not minimise the risk of falling out of bed but could help
I’m sorry I can’t give you a simple answer and I do think your best bet is to do what you plan to do and discuss the whole thing with a professional who will be able to visit and properly assess your home situation and your husband’s needs, but maybe this will give you some food for thought - or perhaps even set you off thinking of other options.
My best wishes to you both.
Tot

Thank you Tot for taking the time to supply such an in-depth reply. There’s plenty of food for thought with your useful information, so thank you for that. My husband’s main problem is almost total immobility, be it getting up from chairs, getting in and out of the car, bed etc. Obviously worse when meds are running down and not too bad when fully ‘on’. It’s so frustrating as he can walk (and even run at times) but finds the above movements most difficult. I asked physio to come to our house and have him lie on the bedroom floor and then show/try to instruct him/me how to get back up with minimal help from me. But she didn’t succeed. She is going to look into this aspect of his PD but I’m afraid I’m not confident there’ll be much she can do. He attends strength and balance classes and has done for a while. He enjoys them and it’s also a social exercise for him. My main area of concern is simply that when he’s on the floor whether by rolling or falling off his bed he’s there until I get help. He’s actually come home today after yet another week in hospital having fallen off the bed in the early hours again. They thought he may have a UTI but the sample was negative but they gave him a short course of antibiotics as precaution. Hospital is not the greatest place for people with PD but these cycles of events, with the odd exception, result in him being taken in to A&E by the paramedics as they’ve also struggled to get him up. We need some answers but maybe we’ll never get them. Thank you though for your thoughtful and helpful reply. Very much appreciated. Jean

It’s a bit of a catch 22 isn’t it Jean1. There are devices for lifting people from the floor, you’ve probably seen the paramedics use some of them but they are expensive and I’ve not known any to be provided by social services for the domestic setting. I think it most likely you will be offered some kind of hoist. If this is suggested please give it serious consideration. They can look scary but you will be shown how to use it and they are quite straightforward once you have a bit of confidence - they should, if this is an option give you one that can lift from the floor. You can also get track hoists which may suit you better. It will still be quite a lot for you but at least you will be able to get him back into bed without assistance and more to the point safely. It can be a bit awkward on your own but not impossible so if this is offered consider it with an open mind’
Does he have a rise recline chair, most if not all social services supply these and they take all the effort out of getting up from a chair and indeed having some control when sitting down. I don’t know if this will be supplied and they are more expensive if you are able to buy but i would always say go for a tilt in space rise/recline chair; with these the whole chair moves round on its axis and you don’t get that ‘tipping point’ that you get with standard chairs where balance can be a problem and brings you to your feet much more gently. The best way to feel the difference is to try a standard and tilt in space side by side but even a standard chair will help. Cars can be difficult but you can get various turntables and transfer boards that may help. I suggest you add all these - if you haven’t already been down this route - to your plan for discussion. It sounds to me like your husband and you as his carer could do with a new assessment, because clearly things are not working so well and if you are beginning to worry more and get more stressed with it all, that should be a big warning sign because you must look after yourself if you want to continue to care for your husband. You are quite right, hospital should be a last resort for people with Parkinson’s in my opinion, most nursing staff have very little understanding of the condition and that can raise all sorts of problems. I am actually in the process of drawing up a paper which I will keep updated and have ready to give to and medical service which may find this useful and, more to the point, give them no reason not to understand especially medication and timing. However that’s a whole different thing. Please do not hesitate to get in touch if I can do anything more. I hope this will help.
Take care
Tot

Hello again Tot, my goodness you have given me so many areas I can now explore and can put forward to social services. Thank you so much. We are thinking of a riser/ recliner chair but I’m waiting for my son to come home and go with me as it’s going to be difficult to get the exact one for his father’s needs. We’d have to cover the cost of this which is fine, but I don’t want to make a very expensive mistake! My husband has had PD for 7 years (from diagnosis) but as most people he’s probably had it much longer. It’s only been the last 18 months that things have started to go awry. He’s just had a long awaited meds review so I’m really hoping he’ll get back on a more even keel soon. Re hospital and PD, I had written very instructions with all his meds, timings etc and underlined how important it was that these times were strictly adhered to. Every time I went in to see him I always asked if he’d had his meds and made a point of making sure any new staff were aware of the importance and difference it makes to his condition. He also took his alarm so if they were late at least it reminded him to buzz them. There should be more training for nurses and doctors in hospital given that PD seems to be becoming more common. I’ve now got plenty to discuss with my husband and physios, OTs etc. I’ll let you know what transpires. Fingers crossed all is not lost yet… With kind regards,
Jean