Foot pain when walking

Recently I have started to experience pain in my left foot when walking. Seems to be particularly bad first thing in the morning when I get out of bed and hobble across the room. Dystonia has caused the toes on my right foot to curl and my left foot seems to be becoming a bit deformed as well. I am due to see my PD nurse next week so I will mention it to her. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this and if they have managed to overcome it. I have some made-to-measure shoes which I think help somewhat.
Hi Christo,

My right foot swells everyday, and gives me hell with pain, starting when I get about of bed and whenever I walk.

I've spoken to the Docs about the swelling and they say it is down to meds, but we haven't discussed the pain as yet.

No problems with shape/distortion or anything else with foot, but I am concerned about the pain so will see doc asap.

Perhaps you should do so also - just for peace of mind.

Regards,

Mike.
hi christo - any bit of you foot in particular?
Hello Christo

I have dystonia in my left foot, toes curled, a pigeon toed walk, at bad times it turns over a bit sso that I walk on the outside edge of my foot, then I get a cramping pain and my foot goes into a sort of claw shape.

The early morning pain you mention is something that I find wears off very quickly and I suppose is just because of stiffness after inactivity. I get pain on the other side after walking further than usual, I assume because I drop heavily onto my 'good' foot as I walk and it jars through my ankle, knee and hip. Is this the sort of pain you are getting? I've also noticed that the second and third toe on my right foot seem to be sticking together and cramping a little and I am worried the dystonia is coming in that foot as well.

I have a lot of trouble with shoes. My feet just don't stay the same and something that fits in the morning is very painful later in the day.
The best I have at the moment are some converse trainers I got in a sale. Are your made to measures NHS or private? Can I ask how much?
Hi

I have been Dx for just over a year and have started getting the symptoms you describe in your foot.

One toe is trying to hide behind the other which can be quite uncomfortable and my whole foot seems to be trying to turn inwards making walking awkward.I also get cramp in both feet.

I take 6mg Requip and am waiting (4 weeks so far) for a letter from the neuro to add rasagiline / seligaline. Hopefully that will help.

Caroline.
hi christo,i also have dystonia,and it not very nice at all,symtoms;there is many different types of dystonia,which symtoms are; muscle spasms,limbs twist in wards,body jerks,in different parts of the bodys.but with foot dystonia there is a painful muscle contraction in the foot which causes twistern in the foot.it is caused by incorrect messages from the brian to the muscles. there is no cure for it unforunally, but people with it can be controled with treatment pain control.:smile:
Thanks for your input everyone. It is a sharp, stabbing pain in my left instep which wears off to some extent after I have been walking for a while. Still very painful though My made-to-measure shoes I got on the NHS. I did a thread on this a while back which you should be able to find if you search the forum (health and wellbeing).
Ali's got the experience on this one. A bit of stretching the calf and hamstring might help and loosening up the ankle by rotating it clockwise and anti. but if the basic contortion is still going on then it will be painful as Ali says. its funny peculiar when your big to goes over the others. my gp suggested magnesium (NOT to be taken on an empty stomach) but i dont think its the same sort of cramp as caused by deficiencies. one physio suggested rolling a tennis ball with the underside of your foot. havent tried it!
Hi Christo,

I also suffer from painful dystonia. I get it mainly in my left foot and hand, however this last year it's troubling my right foot too. In the mornings I was literally walking on the balls of my feet and my feet would flip over onto their side. I had a chat with my PD Nurse and she suggested taking my first dose of Sinemet an hour earlier and before I get out of bed. This, for now seems to have sorted the problem out. I've also adjusted my daytime regimen and moved my doses of Sinemet back by 30 minutes - this also seems to have helped. Stretching exercises help too. I hold onto the kitchen worktop and slowly rise up onto my toes and slowly back down and rock back onto my heels and slowly forward again, I do this about 5 times, several times throughout the day. It helps to stretch the calf and foot muscles out. For my hand I stretch my fingers out as far as I can several times a day. PD causes the muscles to become short and this can cause a lot of pain - the nerves get trapped and pinched (Neuropathic pain) Ask to be referred for physiotherapy.

Take a look at these info sheets, they offer very good advice

http://www.parkinsons.org.uk/PDF/FS43_Musclecrampsanddystonia.pdf
http://www.parkinsons.org.uk/pdf/FS51_Footcareandparkinsons.pdf

Best wishes
Cutiepie
Thank you Cutiepie for your helpful response - especially the tip about holding onto a suitable surface & rising to tiptoes, back down & then rocking backwards and forwards on heels. Easy to follow instructions. I have been doing it at intervals since I saw your post, and it works! Once again thank you
Thanks again friends. It's comforting to know I'm not alone. I am going to try some yoga exercises. I shall speak to nursie about adjusting the timing of my meds.
As far as cramping of the foot, I can vouch for rolling a tennis ball back and forth along the underside of the foot. It was very effective and I have hardly had any foot cramps for a couple of years. The movement enables you to flex your toes in the way often recommended which if you try it without the ball precipitates the cramp you are trying to avoid.
Cutiepie - i also tried that rocking on your feet - it also works for achilles tendonitis!!! will be doing it very regularly.
I had the dystonia in my right foot in the early stages of the disease. This did feel as if my toes wanted to disappear under the foot. Not on any medication and trying something else first,I was referred to a podiatrist for shoe advice or anything to relieve it, as I would have to stop frequently when out walking until the foot(toes) relaxed again. Was also tested for Magnesium levels(normal). In the end the only thing that cured it was Mirapexin (I am sure levodopa would have done the same). Now I have occasionally pain in my mid foot, when my medication(Mirapexin and Sinemet) is not working. The dystonia has not come back. I find almost all my aches and pains(like back ache, abdominal discomfort ) seem to be PD linked and disappear when the drugs click in.

I have wide feet and it is always difficult to find shoes that are comfortable, especially when buying them over the internet. Fortunately, these fit the bill quite well from the first wearing when I put them on and breathed a sigh of relief. Nice to know Orthofeet a shoe company I can depend on for future purchases.

my patients for over 15 years, and I can attest that they offer the best solution for people with sensitive feet, including those with foot pain, diabetes and arthritis. orthofeet;s shoes are designed with unique ergonomic features that cannot be found in any other brand. My patients love them, and in fact I wear them myself daily, as they are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn."