Football

Hi, I’m 69, diagnosed 2017. About 6 months ago I started Walking Football. Amazing results. Day to day probs in movement & balance etc not apparent when I am chasing a football. Am I bypassing my defective brain by instinctive actions? Also social benefits enormous. So I don’t care why it works just happy it does.
Steve

1 Like

Hi and welcome to the forum, @sjlovell. This is a friendly and supportive space and our members should be along to say hello quite soon.

It’s great to hear that you’ve found the activity that helps you. When you’ve found some exercise that’s fun to do and gets results you’ll want to return to it again and again. If you go to our website and type ‘football’ into the search bar, you’ll see that you’re not the only one who’s been happy after discovering walking football. You’re in very good company.

While you’re on the site, feel free to explore all the information on there. If you’ve never used our Helpline, you may find a great source of advice and support if you should need it in the future :telephone_receiver: 808 800 0303.

Best wishes,
Janice
Forum Moderation Team

Where is this football available.

Are there any sites in Ireland that I could attend?

Thanks
Frank

Hi sjlovell,

It’s so great that you’ve found something that has all those positive results.
I cycle and do gym, and have the same type of reaction, I feel stronger and the shakes etc are kept at bay.
Oh, and the very occasional doubles tennis, that court is “big”.
:smile:

I’m sure all forms of exercise will be the same.

@sjlovell ,

Walking Football likely increases your dopamine levels, a neurotransmitter associated with movement, motivation, and pleasure. This can improve your coordination and mood.
The act of focusing on the game and reacting to the ball might stimulate neuroplasticity, the brain’s ability to form new connections. This can help your brain compensate for the areas affected by Parkinson’s

My husband plays walking football and says it is the only time he feels ‘normal’. He has to warm up and stretch a lot or his muscles get tight but he really enjoys it and feels better, is somewhat achy afterwards.